C clamp swivel head
I have a number of C clamps without the swivel head.  Two questions: 1. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements, (are they brand specific)? and 2. Should I be able to acquire some, how do you put them on? Thanks in advance for your help.
Try Grainger and search under clamp pad. If someone welds, I've made a few. I use a flat washer, and a machine nut that I drill a bit oversize. I weld the nut to the washer, and then saw about three "kerfs" across the top. I insert them onto the "ball" of the clamp and then lightly peen the kerfed top so it doesn't come off. You can carefully weld the kerf if you are worried it might come off.

BTW, I have a couple garage sale finds that I need to do myself.
(02-07-2022, 08:54 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Try Grainger and search under clamp pad.  If someone welds, I've made a few.  I use a flat washer, and a machine nut that I drill a bit oversize.  I weld the nut to the washer, and then saw about three "kerfs" across the top.  I insert them onto the "ball" of the clamp and then lightly peen the kerfed  top so it doesn't come off.  You can carefully weld the kerf if you are worried it might come off.

BTW, I have a couple garage sale finds that I need to do myself.

This guy went all out, though you would need a metal lathe.  swivel pads  Depending on the size of the clamp and the pad you want, you might be able to make a wooden foot, drill a hole for the ball end, put the wooden foot on, an then use a thin slotted piece of wood glued to the top of the block to keep the pad in place , like a vise garter https://www.lakeerietoolworks.com/produc...nal-garter
McMaster-Carr offers some: here  In my area, anyway, C-clamps are so common I could get two or more in most sizes for the price one clamp pad would cost you; but you may live somewhere that they're harder to get.  Don't forget there will be shipping costs involved.
Can always cut a square of hardwood, drill a TIGHT hole into the center...clamp it up until the knob slips in .....

Or...

Just walk into a Harbor Freight store and buy the replacement clamps....For less than you'd pay for the replacement pads + shipping.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Grainger carries some.

No, wooden heads are not a good solution because often when we use a C clamp, we want to the extreme pressure and wooden pads would likely fail. Also the reason someone wants a replacement head may be because the C clamp is unique or from someone close. People want the old Pony brand handscrews ----- not just any handscrews.

Simon
A neighbour turns them for me on his metal lathe. A top hat shaped part with a hole that fits the ball on the end of the screw. I cut 3 cuts straight across with a hacksaw resulting in 6 kerfs and cramp the cramp onto the edge of my welding bench and hammer the prongs inwards.

Good quality cramps are expensive and I am sick and tired of the substandard cramp shaped objects that come from China. Therefore good cramps are worth repairing in my oppinion.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(02-08-2022, 03:02 PM)TGW Wrote: A neighbour turns them for me on his metal lathe. A top hat shaped part with a hole that fits the ball on the end of the screw. I cut 3 cuts straight across with a hacksaw resulting in 6 kerfs and cramp the cramp onto the edge of my welding bench and hammer the prongs inwards.

Good quality cramps are expensive and I am sick and tired of the substandard cramp shaped objects that come from China. Therefore good cramps are worth repairing in my oppinion.
I agree that good clamps are worth repairing, and I would have no problem making the new pads out of any number of tropical hardwoods...such as Cocobolo, Ziracote, Lignum Vitae etc...Turn them on a lathe to the preferred diameter then drill to fit the clamp and glue it on using JB Weld..If the clamp has a "ball type" end, file a flat on it to prevent it turning and stripping out of the hardwood pad. If necessary, glue a thin plastic "bottom" on the pad so that it can slip as it is tightened against the workpiece, because that is where we want it to slip......Easier to do all this than it is to describe HOW to do it.

Note....Any kitchen supply store should have those very thin, flexible plastic cutting "boards" which could be cut and glued to the new clamp pads. They come in handy for lots of things in a shop where friction is not wanted, and they are dirt cheap..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks everyone for the help and advice.  I checked the prices of some of those pads and they are pricey. Have a number of clamps various ages, sizes, and makes that I've picked up at yardsales and auctions for a lot less than the price of the pads, unfortunately, most of them are padless. Have used plastic bottle caps to avoid dents but may try using some of the hardwood suggestions.