Dewalt DW 9094 14.4 Volt Battery info
Today I picked up a old Dewalt right angle drill which has DW 9094 14.4 Volt Battery that need to be replaced.
I could not find any information on this battery at Dewalt website

I think it is NiCad
I found few replacement batteries on Amazon and on ebay all of them are NiMH
I am sure NiMH battery will work on this drill, 

I did get a charger with this drill, it says  Charger for NiCad battery. 
Will this charge NIMh batteries ? or I have to get a NiMH charger?

Thanks
DeWalt dropped that platform probably 10 years ago. Wasn't very popular back when it was new....sadly, I think you bought trash can filler.

Ed
(02-07-2022, 09:02 PM)Jack01 Wrote: mtobattery.com lists a rebuild service for a DW9094.

Long ago used them for DW9091 rebuilds.
-Tub
(02-07-2022, 09:02 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Today I picked up a old Dewalt right angle drill which has DW 9094 14.4 Volt Battery that need to be replaced.

I think it is NiCad

Thanks
I'm pretty sure you can't charge a NiMH in your old charger without risking damage.

I see there are 14.4v NiCad batteries on Amazon.  Go to Amazon and search on:

ExpertPower 14.4v 1500mAh NiCd Battery for Dewalt DW9094.

Mike
(02-07-2022, 09:02 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Today I picked up a old Dewalt right angle drill which has DW 9094 14.4 Volt Battery that need to be replaced.

I think it is NiCad

Thanks

I have a standard 1/2" drill and trimsaw bought before the turn of the century.  Best balance between weight and power back in the old Nicad days, IMHO.  My plan is to adapt a 20V lithium battery using one of my old battery cases and a USB charger adapter for a 20V battery  (Hercules in this case, since I bought one of their hammer drills a couple of years back).  I have had my drill apart (again before the turn of the century, because I had a 9.6 V drill at the time and wondered if the 14.4V batteries would be OK in that drill, both motors were the same) and the motor is rated up to 24V.  I tried using a Dewalt 20V to 18V adapter and it won't fit, the tabs to secure it to the drill do not line up, as well as there are square shoulders at the bottom of the "stem" that goes into the drill, that prevent the battery adapter from being able to fit, although I think that is surmountable by filing the plastic around the bottom of the hole in the drill, but what is not surmountable is the locking tabs I mentioned earlier. I might still adapt that using one of my old batteries, but the Hercules batteries are cheaper (granted not as good as the DeWalts).

I tried re-building some batteries I had for a Craftsman cordless battery and it did not come out well, but that would be the least destructive, most OEM looking solution.  From what I have read, you should be OK charging NIMH batteries in a Nicad charger, you DON'T want to charge LiON batteries in a non-LiON charger.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you end up doing.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(02-10-2022, 07:26 AM)pprobus Wrote: I have a standard 1/2" drill and trimsaw bought before the turn of the century.  Best balance between weight and power back in the old Nicad days, IMHO.  My plan is to adapt a 20V lithium battery using one of my old battery cases and a USB charger adapter for a 20V battery  (Hercules in this case, since I bought one of their hammer drills a couple of years back).  I have had my drill apart (again before the turn of the century, because I had a 9.6 V drill at the time and wondered if the 14.4V batteries would be OK in that drill, both motors were the same) and the motor is rated up to 24V.  I tried using a Dewalt 20V to 18V adapter and it won't fit, the tabs to secure it to the drill do not line up, as well as there are square shoulders at the bottom of the "stem" that goes into the drill, that prevent the battery adapter from being able to fit, although I think that is surmountable by filing the plastic around the bottom of the hole in the drill, but what is not surmountable is the locking tabs I mentioned earlier. I might still adapt that using one of my old batteries, but the Hercules batteries are cheaper (granted not as good as the DeWalts).

I tried re-building some batteries I had for a Craftsman cordless battery and it did not come out well, but that would be the least destructive, most OEM looking solution.  From what I have read, you should be OK charging NIMH batteries in a Nicad charger, you DON'T want to charge LiON batteries in a non-LiON charger.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you end up doing.

I really liked the dewalt 14.4 stuff as well.  The power to weight ratio was great. 
I passed all of it on to my brother in law when I transitioned to 20v, and he still uses it. 

You may be able to find someone with a 3d printer that could make an adapter to the 20v batteries 

Although there probably isn’t as much market for 14.4 to 20v as there is for the 18v to 20v adapters.

Another option is get cells an rebuild your own, the challenging part is welding tabs without damaging the cells, it can be done with a car battery and a couple 12g wires, although it’s easier to setup a solenoid and switch so you can get positioned and then time the weld with the switch.
(02-10-2022, 08:42 AM)JDuke Wrote: I really liked the dewalt 14.4 stuff as well.  The power to weight ratio was great. 
I passed all of it on to my brother in law when I transitioned to 20v, and he still uses it. 

You may be able to find someone with a 3d printer that could make an adapter to the 20v batteries 

Although there probably isn’t as much market for 14.4 to 20v as there is for the 18v to 20v adapters.

Another option is get cells an rebuild your own, the challenging part is welding tabs without damaging the cells, it can be done with a car battery and a couple 12g wires, although it’s easier to setup a solenoid and switch so you can get positioned and then time the weld with the switch.

Maybe someday I'll get a 3D printer.  But I would still need to CAD it all up, which is time consuming for me.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!