Garbage disposal hardwire v plug in
Ok WN Brain Trust, convince me I should convert a retrofit disposal install to a plug in. Existing hardwired disposal has given up the ghost.

I’d need to add a surface mount box and gfci outlet.

We don’t use the disposal. I’m replacing it because it would be way more work to reconfigure the plumbing to totally remove the disposal.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Pros to using an outlet:

1. easier to replace in future. a non factor if you plan to sell the house before the replacement unit dies since you don't care
2. slightly safer since it's on a GFI outlet. if the current circuit is GFI protected, the outlet puts the point of protection at the disposal so you don't have to go hunting for it

Cons:
time, money. however time is a wash. there should be a box there already for the splice connection, unless theres one on the disposal. if the splice is just dangling, that's a problem.

I'd put in the outlet because I over engineer things.

absolutely agree with crokett...
(02-08-2022, 12:45 PM)MKepke Wrote: Ok WN Brain Trust, convince me I should convert a retrofit disposal install to a plug in.  Existing hardwired disposal has given up the ghost.

We don’t use the disposal.  I’m replacing it because it would be way more work to reconfigure the plumbing to totally remove the disposal.

-Mark

If the issue comes down to which is more work, I'd just hardwire it... or not wire it all (since you don't use it).
I have to admit, my first thought was the same as KC's...don't wire it all. At least not until you decide to leave the house.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-08-2022, 04:39 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have to admit, my first thought was the same as KC's...don't wire it all. At least not until you decide to leave the house.
Nah, have to make it operable.

The disposal provides the drain and air gap for the dishwasher. Need to run the disposal occasionally to ensure the drain lines stay unclogged.

I did make sure to buy a disposal with a plastic chamber and stainless grinder because it won't see action other than that.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(02-08-2022, 12:45 PM)MKepke Wrote: Ok WN Brain Trust, convince me I should convert a retrofit disposal install to a plug in.  Existing hardwired disposal has given up the ghost.

We don’t use the disposal.  I’m replacing it because it would be way more work to reconfigure the plumbing to totally remove the disposal.

-Mark

Might want to check code if you need more incentive.  I don't think hardwired anything works here any more.  I am replacing an oven in a place I checked with my go to for info electrician and was told plug is current code reduces opportunity for loose wire connections and ease of repair and replacement
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Does the dishwasher drain need to go into the disposal?

Mine is hooked to the main pipe coming straight down from the sink, and the disposal drain is below it.

Seems to work fine, but I'm the opposite we use the disposal constantly, but run the dishwasher only during holidays.
Echoing Bob10 - check code. Some places require hard wired (some areas, I think even want a switch above the counter for hard wired dish washers, so check that too.

A PITA, to be sure, but one less thing to be called out in a home inspection if/when you sell.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne
I feel like people hardwire so that they can get out of the requirement to have all kitchen “outlets” GFCI protected. I think the approach that the NEC seems to want is outlets for disposal and dishwasher so that the power can be removed in a positive way. If you hard wire, I think you need a switch and it has to say OFF on it.