Availability of 4/4 hardwood
Add another vote for rough cut lumber whenever possible (which unfortunately it isn't always available).  I have one main man I go to that gets urban lumber, saws it and has it kiln dried.  I've had very good luck with his wood.
I have two large mills within a half-mile. The owner of the one bought a PM 72 that I had rehabbed... 2000.00 cash. He claims to have the largest so and so kiln in the US. I forget what type he said it was.
The other produces posts and beams. I have never been up there.
I probably have 10+ band-mills within three miles of me.
I get my wood from a gentleman about three miles away. He saws it either 4/4 or 5/4. Just about anything is 2 dollars a board foot. I have never bought walnut from him though it might be more.
The last haul from him was curly maple. Half of it was slightly spalted... I mean really pretty wood!
A gentleman in Fairmont WV. sells boutique wood. Curly Oak, Walnut, Maple. Ambrosia Maple. A lot and I mean A LOT of beautiful slabs. He has a very large table slab flattener...quite the machine.

The wood I get from him is surfaced to 15/16. Price varies but he generally is pretty fair.
He has classes on epoxy work and so forth.

Running wood over a jointer is a young man's work. I generally cut it down to manageable sizes. If a board is cupped I will rip it down the center. Whatever it takes to decrease the time on the jointer.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I sell hardwoods here in St. Louis and most of my "competition" sells surfaced stuff. I sell rough sawn only and it is cut 1 1/8" and nearly always gives me 7/8" finished. It is less work for me and better for the buyer (who owns equipment). No brainer.

Find the mill near you that does the same and give them your business.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure