Fireplace Damper Draft?
The damper in my flue has a terrible seal. What’s the best way to address this? I’ve seen wool pad flue blockers, and heat heat “weather” striping that cements around the edges of the damper to create a seal.

Any thoughts on what works best?

I’m thinking of using a piece of Fiberglass insulation batt, and shipping it up above the damper gizmo.
Are there concerns about handling the insulation? Ill have to lie under the damper to get it in, so I’m sure little particles will drop off onto my face. I’m not sure how careful I need to be with this stuff.

I put a Lyemance Damper upon the top of my chimneys flue and it works great.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(02-28-2022, 12:31 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: I put a Lyemance Damper upon the top of my chimneys flue and it works great.

Probably the easiest and cheapest solution. These are also called Gas Fireplace Conversion Dampers for Googling sake. It's a real good idea to disable the existing damper in the Open Position or remove it if these are installed. 2 operational dampers does not meet fire/building codes and can be very dangerous.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I think it comes down to how often you'll use the fireplace.

The top mounted dampers are a good choice, but heat still escapes the thermal mass. If you aren't going to use it often, one of the inflatable dampers might keep the heat down lower.

I think it'd be a pain to inflate it/deflate it often though.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

I've heard of folks using spray foam in a plastic bag to make a big custom "plug" at the base of the chimney.  that would be pretty easy to do, but certainly isn't something you'd want to remove seasonally.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13