Opinions on “stander” mowers?
I’m considering buying a stander style mower in 48-52”. I haven’t looked locally yet and I have no idea how supply is. Currently, I have a 2009 48” Exmark Turf Tracer hydro walk behind and it’s a great mower. I’ve also considered adding a proslide but not my first choice. All that said, any preferences on makes or models?

I have the JD 557 stander and it's been several years. It's a monster and will out mow any zero turn I've used (and there have been many even in the commercial side where I worked for a while). It's much faster while maintaining a clean cut, and easier to maneuver.

I will say the 2 issues are:

#1 you have to stand, which for some can be an issue after a while. As long as I have good boots or shoes on, then it's not an issue for me personally. My knees get sore, but they do that just from sleeping.

#2 low ground clearance. My yard is wet at times and if I'm not careful how I mow, it will get stuck easily. They are heavy and require a lot of muscle or my tractor to pull them out.

One last item I have become aware is that your kids need to be older to operate a stander. My 7yo can't reach and hold the handles at constant pressure while trying to balance and keep herself on the machine. A zero turn is no issue for her though.

I love mine and won't go any other way until I am not in shape or health enough to stand on it.
A long time ago when I was in college, I mowed for a professional landscaper in the summers. We preferred standing or even walking to sitting. The standup sulkies were ok. The standing mowers were the best.

I thought the main reasons for a stander were they took up less space on the trailer, and they were easier to get on/off.

Neither one of those would apply to my home yard. I get on it, I mow all the grass, I get off of it. Done.

But if you like it, then by all means, it's a free country.
(02-11-2022, 01:14 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I thought the main reasons for a stander were they took up less space on the trailer, and they were easier to get on/off.

Neither one of those would apply to my home yard.  I get on it, I mow all the grass, I get off of it.  Done. 

But if you like it, then by all means, it's a free country.

I have a 42" rider and a 33" walk behind. I prefer the walk behind.  Overall it takes less time with it as it does the larger one because it's basically a ZTR.  I can get it into smaller spaces so I'm not string trimming as much and I can take it more places like running it along the fence in the back to help keep that clear.  I can also mow the hill with it more easily than I can my rider.

Are you mowing 4 acres or 4000 square feet?
Large residential. Leaning towards a Scag 52”.

(02-18-2022, 12:20 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Large residential.  Leaning towards a Scag 52”.
Buy a stander if you have to get on and off the mower to pick up sticks, trash etc.  If you have a large drive or parking area the Toro Grandstand Multiforce is the ticket.  Cost of the multiforce is  high but you can put a blade or a snow blower on it.
I mowed commercially for years with walk behinds, and kept one to maintain my yard when I was no longer in the business.    When I was looking to replace my mower I *thought* I wanted a stander.  I demo'd one for a bit, and found that I really did not like how my knees felt afterwards.

I bought a nice used Walker, and was very happy with it until I moved to a place with a lot of steep hills.

I'd recommend a demo before you decide, and also think about how you are going to handle clippings/leaves.  The Walker's are hard to beat if you are going to collect trimmings.
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13