source for adapter to use power drill on square shank tapered drill bits
(02-11-2022, 11:06 AM)rgc Wrote: What about this; https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Socket-...4083&psc=1

I never did find mine, but Menards had a freebee that included one.  I tried it and it would work, but because of the design, it doesn't go into the "universal socket" very far, maybe 1/2".  It would work ok for enlarging a hole, but maybe not very good for making one.

Just had to post my finding.

Thanks again.
[attachment=41083 Wrote:toolmiser pid='8057214' dateline='1644546746']I had a need today to use a square shank tapered drill bit in my cordless drill.  I have a 18" long 5/8" diameter drill bit  that I wanted to use to enlarge a 3/8" hole in a turning.  I ended up using a brace to turn it, but it would have been much easier with a power drill.  

I was tempted to saw off the square shank, but I don't like to do things like that, and that wouldn't have been reversible.

Has anybody ever seen something like that?  

Thanks

I've got what I think is exactly what you're looking for. 

This came out of an old brace. Since "nobody" uses the old style brace anymore, they can quite often be found for not a lot of money, sometimes found in thrift shops or a "Re-store". A grinder can cut through the part of a brace holding the chuck assembly, then cut off the round shaft about an inch or so beyond the base of the threaded part that the chuck itself threads on to.
(03-06-2022, 06:16 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I've got what I think is exactly what you're looking for. 

This came out of an old brace. Since "nobody" uses the old style brace anymore, they can quite often be found for not a lot of money, sometimes found in thrift shops or a "Re-store". A grinder can cut through the part of a brace holding the chuck assembly, then cut off the round shaft about an inch or so beyond the base of the threaded part that the chuck itself threads on to.

I never thought of doing that.  I have a couple that got no interest at my garage sales and would make a donar.  Sometimes it just takes asking the right person the right question.

Thanks again
(02-11-2022, 11:36 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: I've used one of these with some success. ( "these" is an angle grinder) 

(03-06-2022, 06:16 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: I've got what I think is exactly what you're looking for. 

I was on the right track; I was just thinking of cutting the wrong tool.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Brilliant...sometimes we just don't see the forest for the trees...
Thanks