source for adapter to use power drill on square shank tapered drill bits
I had a need today to use a square shank tapered drill bit in my cordless drill.  I have a 18" long 5/8" diameter drill bit  that I wanted to use to enlarge a 3/8" hole in a turning.  I ended up using a brace to turn it, but it would have been much easier with a power drill.  

I was tempted to saw off the square shank, but I don't like to do things like that, and that wouldn't have been reversible.

Has anybody ever seen something like that?  

Thanks
I have not seen adapters, but I do know that you can get auger bits made for electric drills.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/p...auger-bits
What about this; https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Socket-...4083&psc=1
If  you are talking about brace bits, then why not just get a brace to go with them?  Most I would believe would have a problem with being spun at a higher speed than intended.
(02-10-2022, 09:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I had a need today to use a square shank tapered drill bit in my cordless drill.  I have a 18" long 5/8" diameter drill bit  that I wanted to use to enlarge a 3/8" hole in a turning.  I ended up using a brace to turn it, but it would have been much easier with a power drill.  

I was tempted to saw off the square shank, but I don't like to do things like that, and that wouldn't have been reversible.

Has anybody ever seen something like that?  

Thanks

Look up Stanley #180 auger bit extension.    No longer made to my knowledge but they will accept a tapered square shank bit.   They were 18" long.   The old cracked one I have had the male square end cut off and welded to a piece of drill rod for more length and had flats ground on it for electric drill. I have no idea where I got it or when.   They are still on ebay.  Roly
(02-11-2022, 10:27 AM)Willyou Wrote: I have not seen adapters, but I do know that you can get auger bits made for electric drills.
https://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bits/p...auger-bits

I'm pretty sure I have one of those in the garage, but I didn't think of it, I will give it a try.

The drill bit was a twist bit so I doubt it would heat up too bad, and I already had a pilot hole.

This cylinder was 20" long and I'm not 25 any more.  I did use a "brace" to drill it, but it gave me a workout (yes I needed one).

I've got about 4 twist drills with a square shank end in various sizes.  Picked them up at garage sales.  I was making something for a neighbor who works part time in a boot factory.  Very small production, and he knew I had a wood lathe and asked if I could make a couple forms for him.  I really don't understand the use, but he gave me a sample, and dimensions and He is a great guy so why not help him.  Plus he said I would get paid, which wasn't a requirement, but there are always expenses.
I've used one of these with some success.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I have a set of these they also come in smaller sets from 1/8" up to 5/8s 25" long bit set for cheep
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(02-13-2022, 10:50 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I have a set of these they also come in smaller sets from 1/8" up to 5/8s 25" long bit set for cheep

That may be the answer.  For the little bit that I would use them these would probably be ok.  I have some smaller diameter bits of decent quality that I use most of the time, and they work in a collet so I can use them on my lathe.  

Thanks for the tip.
(02-13-2022, 10:26 PM)toolmiser Wrote: That may be the answer.  For the little bit that I would use them these would probably be ok.  I have some smaller diameter bits of decent quality that I use most of the time, and they work in a collet so I can use them on my lathe.  

Thanks for the tip.

yes they work ok for wood especially in your situation, don't think I would try them on steel.  I use them in a drill chuck on my lathe. HF also sells 1/2"drill chuck with #2 taper that's what I use.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop