Barn wood ID
Looking to identify this wood all pictures are from the same piece. Pieces are floor boards in an old horse and wagon barn in east central Michigan ( near Lake Huron) barn is 150 years at least old. The wood planks are 16 feet long 16 in wide and 2 in THick.

Attached Files Image(s)

Perhaps Hemlock ?    
Confused
Density -- high or low?  

What species grow in the area?

Poplar comes to mind.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Just to confirm: the orange-ish picture is of the rough-cut face of part of 2 boards?

That close-up of the end grain ought to be really helpful if the right person sticks their head in this thread. That seems like a really high level of porosity (or whatever the right term is for all of the little tubules).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
White Oak....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(02-11-2022, 08:07 PM)packerguy® Wrote: White Oak....

That would be my call as well.
How about American Chestnut?

I grew up in the East Tennessee, Western North Carolina area and back in the day the Chestnut trees were huge. Lot's of it used in barns and utility items. Unfortunately the blight in the early 1900's wiped them all out. I think they were pretty abundant in Michigan also.

I've got a decent stack of wormy chestnut in my shop I salvaged from an old dilapidated building on my Mother's Homeplace. The house and barn are built out of it too. That light-brown color on the end grain pictures sure looks like it. Do the boards seem lighter in weight than a similar sized oak board?
Looking at the end grain, I am going to say an oak of some type. I have some chestnut in the shop, and the end grain looks nothing like that.
(02-19-2022, 09:06 AM)Scoony Wrote: Looking at the end grain, I am going to say an oak of some type.    I have some chestnut in the shop, and the end grain looks nothing like that.

Reiterating that this wood does not show oaks characteristic ray figure, I also ask what happens to oak when it's exposed to ammonia, like decaying manure.  

This is pretty light still.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(02-19-2022, 10:45 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Reiterating that this wood does not show oaks characteristic ray figure, I also ask what happens to oak when it's exposed to ammonia, like decaying manure.  

This is pretty light still.

Maybe we are looking at it differently. I am looking at the close up end grain picture and it looks exactly like the end grain of both red and white oak that I have in my shop. More so like red oak. Even the not so close up shots of end grain look like oak. 

I am sticking with oak.