A box for travelling dovetail saws
I've been making a few boxes of late for tools used in demonstrations at wood shows and workshops. They are not jewellery boxes.

The current box is for a couple of dovetail saws, in particular a Veritas 20 ppi and a Veritas 14 ppi (which I have re-filed from 14 degrees of rake to 10 degrees of rake and 15 degrees of rake for the first 1 1/2" of the toe). The 20 ppi is excellent for thin board and softer wood, plus works well for crosscutting (such as the shoulders). The idea behind the progressive rake in the 14 ppi saw is to make it easier to start in hard, brittle wood, and then cut more aggressively.

The wood here is US Black Walnut, and the 20 ppi saw was used.

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

The design involves mitred through dovetail ends and sides rounded at the top. The mitred ends make it possible to hide the grooves ...

[Image: 7.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

The lid pull is incorporated into the curved end, something I should have done with the previous box ...

[Image: 4.jpg]

Slide it back to reveal the two dovetail saws ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

I hope there are some ideas for you to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-12-2022, 08:38 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I've been making a few boxes of late for tools used in demonstrations at wood shows and workshops. They are not jewellery boxes.

The current box is for a couple of dovetail saws, in particular a Veritas 20 ppi and a Veritas 14 ppi (which I have re-filed from 14 degrees of rake to 10 degrees of rake and 15 degrees of rake for the first 1 1/2" of the toe). The 20 ppi is excellent for thin board and softer wood, plus works well for crosscutting (such as the shoulders). The idea behind the progressive rake in the 14 ppi saw is to make it easier to start in hard, brittle wood, and then cut more aggressively.

The wood here is US Black Walnut, and the 20 ppi saw was used.

[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

The design involves mitred through dovetail ends and sides rounded at the top. The mitred ends make it possible to hide the grooves ...

[Image: 7.jpg]

[Image: 8.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

The lid pull is incorporated into the curved end, something I should have done with the previous box ...

[Image: 4.jpg]

Slide it back to reveal the two dovetail saws ...

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

I hope there are some ideas for you to use.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Outstanding, as usual, Derek...
Yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Very nice, might inspire me to do something similar as I've got a stash of walnut.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That looks great, Derek. And top-notch craftsmanship as usual. Did you hand carve the finger pull? Any chance of a close up pic of it?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Hi Aram

I didn't take a close up this time. Below is the one I did last time ...

[Image: 14.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very nice, Derek. How did you lay out the curve of the lid? A thin strip of wood in a bar clamp, maybe?
(02-12-2022, 06:12 PM)grwold Wrote: Very nice, Derek.  How did you lay out the curve of the lid?  A thin strip of wood in a bar clamp, maybe?

Exactly so.
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Very, very nice Derek!

As an aside, a saw I have become very enamored with lately, is the LV crosscut, similar in size to your DT saws. Have had it since first released, but have only really used it a lot, over the past year, and always close at hand.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks Tony.

A big reason I post what appears to be a simple box is really to highlight the aesthetic of the mitred through dovetail. More should use it.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Where are the chisels and Chrispy’s squares? Maybe you need a Derek version of the Milwaukee pack out. Interlocking black walnut boxes would be cool.

I like the miters. I never really see those on old furniture and I’m not sure why. You do beautiful work and make it look easy. But I feel like this feature isn’t terribly difficult. Correct me if I’m wrong.