A box for travelling dovetail saws
Adam, I imagine that good blanket chests would have had mitred through dovetails: the top would be neater, and the lower end would house a through groove for the bottom. Plus, the base/surround would be dovetailed with mitres at the corners.

The mitred through dovetail offers a much neater finish, providing a symmetrical appearance. I have done a number of cases this way. They are significantly harder to make, as the joint goes from 2D to 3D, and all surfaces must mate simultaneously.

[Image: UnderbenchCabinet1_html_m6c77011.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Very ELEGANT box, Derek1 Well made as allways! The only detail I don't like that much is the black foam.

Cheers
Pedder
Bottoms are almost always nailed up from underneath. Very typical for there to be no rabbet in the sides. Just like drawers. The edges of the bottom are often covered by a simple base molding.

I’m going to keep my eyes open for mitered dts.
(02-14-2022, 02:05 PM)Pedder Wrote: Very ELEGANT box, Derek1  Well made as allways! The only detail I don't like that much is the black foam.

Cheers
Pedder

Pedder, I also dislike the black foam, but it serves a purpose - protecting the tools from rattling around when the boxes are carried. I did consider French fitting, as I did for my bench drawers …

[Image: 15.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
What are we missing, Derek? Do the boxes interlock? Are they drawers, display cases? I haven’t done any demos since before COVID, but I typically have a show and tell table of stuff folks can pick up and examine. Sometimes that table is a crappy plastic, whatever is on hand thing. Deneb Pulchalski seems to pack his tools in a peli case and has a black table cloth, which really makes his stuff pop.

I’m with Pedder. I like the wood.
I sure understand the purpose, Derek, but I like the woodblock and magnet combination on the chiselbox better.
Cheers
Pedder
I enjoy making dovetailed boxes...The miter detail is one that I wish I had figured out sooner.
Nicely done and thank you...
Very nice mitered corners there, Derek.

I'm ok with foam, but Pedder's suggestion of magnets/wooden cutouts sounded a better way. But frankly, that's too many cases/boxes to me.....I'd make a portable cabinet to hold all the essential hand tools. By essential, I mean only a handful. Toplin's toolbox book has some really neat solutions for traveling woodworkers using public transport. If you drive.....oh well, you can load up a chest!

Anyone who wants to try the mitered DTs should check out Kirby's DT book. His "pare back to the miter" approach is close to being foolproof......for someone who is already pretty good with handcut DTs. Pine or spruce would be a good material for exercises.

Simon
(02-14-2022, 07:24 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: What are we missing, Derek? Do the boxes interlock? Are they drawers, display cases?  I haven’t done any demos since before COVID, but I typically have a show and tell table of stuff folks can pick up and examine. Sometimes that table is a crappy plastic, whatever is on hand thing. Deneb Pulchalski seems to pack his tools in a peli case and has a black table cloth, which really makes his stuff pop.

I’m with Pedder. I like the wood.

Adam, the boxes do not interlock. They are all boxes, each with something different ... wood, construction, dovetails, opening. But they all fit into one carry bag (which also has pockets for pencils, blue tape, etc).

The backstory here is that I have been re-organising my workshop, with a view to retiring from my practice in a couple of years, and downsizing to a smaller home (smaller garden to upkeep). This will necessitate a new workshop. So I began looking at the hand tools I have accumulated over 35 years, and deciding which of those would be kept and which would be sold or given away.

The best tools went into a cabinet I built into my under bench cabinet. I was left with a number of tools, and decided that these would become the ones I take to wood shows and workshops, where I demonstrate joinery techniques. While I do this a reasonable amount, in the back of my head I have been hoping to interest my 29 year-old son in building furniture enough to present him with a "starter kit". I would have killed for this starter kit when I started out! Back then I really had very little. He is getting married soon, and looking to purchase a house, so the timing may be good. I am holding thumbs, but realise that it is likely that his wife is going to be the woodworker! Great daughter-in-law!

Regards from Perth

Derek