need small water softener
Hi, I need a small water softener to treat the water going into a washing machine.  It gets used 3-4 times about every other week.   Can anyone recommend a small softener?  Perhaps something sized for an RV might be about right.  I know absolutely nothing about these devices.   Thanks.  -Howard
A couple questions:

Did you do a water test to find out exactly what you intend to treat? Simple DIY kit from the hardware store will point you in the right direction. Without a water test, you are basically guessing and that usually isn't a good way to address water issues. 

If the water has problems, why not a system that treats the whole house? Won't have to be near the washing machine.

If you install a softener and it doesn't fix your problem, what then?

I would do the water test and go to Ohio Pure Water and send them the test results but they'll also want to know the flow ate to properly size the system. Even if you don't buy from them, you'll have the information you need to stat shopping for a system.

BTW, I have used Ohio Pure Water several times. Prices are very good. Service is great and they'll sell you the right product for your particular issue. If they don't sell exactly what you need, maybe they'll steer you in the right direction.

Ohio Pure Water
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I agree, if you have hard water look into a whole house system. My water company has the hardness on their website at 24 grains. I thought water softeners were a scam but since we had to have spray bottles of vinegar at every faucet or shower and spray them regularly or they would look like a stalagmite I decided to try it.

I'm no expert plumber but I was able to break into my main water supply and install a softener. Some of the houses in my neighborhood already had stub outs but my neighbor says his is only on the hot and that's how they installed his - makes no sense to me.

So it was long time ago I did the research but you really should get the industrial quality controller head - mine is Fleck. The better controllers actually measure water usage as opposed to just a timer so they save water (regeneration) and salt. I have heard the stuff at the big box stores won't last long. Also, get the domestic resin, the stuff from China - well you know.

If you can do the plumbing its all pretty simple DIY. As far as maintenance and reliability in ~8 years I had to empty and clean the salt container once. I get a couple of bags of salt maybe every 4 months or so (2 people in the house). The only possible issue you may have is that you should have a drain near the softener for recharge wastewater but I think most people just dump to the storm drains which strictly speaking is illegal where I live.

I'm not sure we noticed any change with clothes washing, it was the mineral deposits that were driving us crazy.
You really need to tighten the definition of the problem. Is this something that a spoon of borax per load would solve?  Water softener gets used pretty generically and there are many contaminants they can’t deal with.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-16-2022, 09:52 PM)blackhat Wrote: You really need to tighten the definition of the problem. Is this something that a spoon of borax per load would solve?  Water softener gets used pretty generically and there are many contaminants they can’t deal with.

OK.  First, the washing machine is not in the house, it is in an outbuilding which is about 30 feet from the house.  If I set up a softener that softens all of our water it will also soften the irrigation water (which we use a lot of) and that would be too wasteful.  The water itself is well water which is about 100 feet from the house.  That well water produces a lot of lime scale- calcium carbonate. Hence the need for a way to get softer water to the washing machine and hopefully cleaner clothes.  We will also install one for the house, but that is a different project.  I am more than open to other suggestions as to how to deal with the washing machine water problem.  Thanks.  -Howard
Our last house came with a small softener being used as a whole house system (the PO was the cheapest guy I've ever met....and I'm 74, so I've met a lot of cheapskates). It was a Water Boss brand, and was a self contained unit. That is the cabinet held the softener plumbing/valves as well as the brine tank. I don't consider this a high quality unit, but something like it might fill your needs. The cabinet itself was maybe 2 1/2' +high, and 18" square (something like that). The one I had actually failed (bad leak in the tank) after we were in the house 4 years and I replaced it with a proper unit. But that shouldn't dissuade you, they are USA made and i think in your case may be the answer (or one like it) you will need to know the hardness to set the timer, but I'm sure you're on top of that. there are other self contained units that may fill the need just as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-16-2022, 10:40 PM)Howard Pollack Wrote: OK.  First, the washing machine is not in the house, it is in an outbuilding which is about 30 feet from the house.  If I set up a softener that softens all of our water it will also soften the irrigation water (which we use a lot of) and that would be too wasteful.  The water itself is well water which is about 100 feet from the house.  That well water produces a lot of lime scale- calcium carbonate. Hence the need for a way to get softer water to the washing machine and hopefully cleaner clothes.  We will also install one for the house, but that is a different project.  I am more than open to other suggestions as to how to deal with the washing machine water problem.  Thanks.  -Howard

Well water can have a lot of issues. Iron, PH, Phosphorous etc. Throwing a "water softener" at the problem my not address any of the issues. It might even make things worse. That's why I suggested a water test so you can really understand what needs fixing. They're cheap and you can do it at home. IMHO, installing any treatment system (including a softener) without a water test is like replacing parts on a car before the problem is diagnosed.

If in fact, you know the only problems are lime (PH Imbalance), just buy the cheap system at Home Depot to serve the laundry. They're small. Iron problems will also cause dirty laundry, Ferric, ferrous and bacterial iron will cause dirty laundry and have different fixes which a softener won't fix.

BTW, I'm also a big fan of Fleck control valves. Reliable and very easy to rebuild... all water treatment system control valves need rebuilding periodically.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-17-2022, 06:42 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Well water can have a lot of issues. Iron, PH, Phosphorous etc. Throwing a "water softener" at the problem my not address any of the issues. It might even make things worse. That's why I suggested a water test so you can really understand what needs fixing. They're cheap and you can do it at home. IMHO, installing any treatment system (including a softener) without a water test is like replacing parts on a car before the problem is diagnosed.

If in fact, you know the only problems are lime (PH Imbalance), just buy the cheap system at Home Depot to serve the laundry. They're small. Iron problems will also cause dirty laundry, Ferric, ferrous and bacterial iron will cause dirty laundry and have different fixes which a softener won't fix.

BTW, I'm also a big fan of Fleck control valves. Reliable and very easy to rebuild... all water treatment system control valves need rebuilding periodically.

I just looked at Home Depot's site. Wow, these things are expensive right now. The little self contained systems WaterBoss and Rheem are almost $600.00. <- this was about $375.00 two years ago. Also looked at Ohio Pure Water's site. They are nearly double what they were 3 years ago,,

... Kizar Sosay

The other potential issue is the water supply available in the outbuilding. A softener has a minimum sustained flow rate to backwash properly. If your well, pump or supply piping can’t meet that minimum you will have problems with the unit. I would do some checking with neighbours and see if there is a reputable dealer in your area, familiar with local water conditions and at least give them a call.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thank you everyone.  Lot's of information here...