Makin Shavins
I've had some time away from turning, wit h other things going on. So this past weekend I decided to grab a few walnut and maple scraps, glue them up, and chuck them up.  The bowl gouge needed a new edge, so it got one.  And oh the shavings that flew.  it reminded me of Captn. Eddie saying Makin Shavins.    These weren't the nice ribbons of the project, but they were good and fun to watch peel off.  Post some of your shavings.

(02-15-2022, 11:17 AM)charliez Wrote: I've had some time away from turning, wit h other things going on. So this past weekend I decided to grab a few walnut and maple scraps, glue them up, and chuck them up.  The bowl gouge needed a new edge, so it got one.  And oh the shavings that flew.  it reminded me of Captn. Eddie saying Makin Shavins.    These weren't the nice ribbons of the project, but they were good and fun to watch peel off.  Post some of your shavings.

OK, wet from bowl outside.

Long grain hollowing dry.

Dry from bowl inside.

First and last show my penchant for broad sweep gouges, second is a side of the gouge cut.  All three show what Frank Pain said happens when cutting the wood as it wishes to be cut. There is a sharp (leading) edge, and a feathered (trailing) edge which means no ridging left behind.  For readers of the skewed plane posts, they come from a skewed presentation.

NB: They also drop, not "fly", protecting your eye.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
No shaving analyisis, just a cherry salad bowl in process:

gary

I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone