random orbital sander
(02-17-2022, 01:08 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: So this is an example of a feature that I didn't consider. Less vibration is definitely worth a few extra bucks. I stick to mostly flat and square furniture and parts so heavy removal mode wouldn't offer an advantage for me.

Both the Bosch ROS65VC and GEX346N are low vibration sanders.  If you are buying a new sander, you'd be very shortsighted to buy anything other than one specifically made for low vibration.  If you are or aspire to be a pro you will spend a lot of hours sanding over the years.  Low vibration sanders make the task a lot less taxing on your hands.  

John
Mine will be here in 4 days. Recommendations on some sandpaper? Thinking on trying 3M cubitron???
(02-17-2022, 10:38 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you need an excellent ROS then it's hard to beat the Bosch ROS65VC.  But it looks like it's been replaced by the GEX346N.  That looks to be just like the ROS65VC and it's less than half the price of the Festool ETC ES-150 sanders.  

John

The ros65 / gex346 aren't really comparable sanders to festool's EC sanders.    
No

The correct comparison is the ETS 150/3 or /5.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/sand...eq-plus-us

As far as pricing goes, the Bosch units are only 25% less than the FT.  If you factor out / sell the systainer box the festool comes in; the net cost is roughly the same.
(02-17-2022, 08:17 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Mine will be here in 4 days. Recommendations on some sandpaper? Thinking on trying 3M cubitron???

It might be worth it for you to try the Cubitron, but I was a little disappointed with my (limited) trial. My disappointment was with the DC aspect. It definitely seemed to cut faster than regular paper, but with my Bosch hooked to a Fein vac, it didn't seem to collect as much of the dust. I actually had a small pile of dust left on the workpiece after using it. But this was a very short effort, and I intend to use them soem more....but my early results didn't seem all that good. I bought a small pack that had 5 different grits just to try it out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The dust collection is a little different for the Cubitron stuff. Since it's a mesh, my whole velcro pad gets full of dust and I have to vacuum it off each time I put on a new disc. Otherwise the velcro loses its holding power and the sanding disc starts to slip around. Besides that minor hiccup, am happy with the overall dust collection while using it on my old Bosch sander and a shop vac. Every sander is different and the mesh discs might affect the dust collection.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(02-17-2022, 08:27 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: The ros65 / gex346 aren't really comparable sanders to festool's EC sanders.    
No

The correct comparison is the ETS 150/3 or /5.

https://www.festoolusa.com/products/sand...eq-plus-us

As far as pricing goes, the Bosch units are only 25% less than the FT.  If you factor out / sell the systainer box the festool comes in; the net cost is roughly the same.

You are right.  I mistook the EC for the ETS sanders.  I've been using a Bosch RO65VC6 now for about 4 years.  It is a joy to use as much as sanding can be joyful, produces a swirl free finish even across joints, and has given me zero trouble.  If I had to replace it I would get a Bosch.  Being 25% less expensive than the Festool would make the decision all that much easier.   

John
I use an ETS 125 for light duty sanding and a 6” dual action/mode German made Ridgid for heavier stuff. The Ridgid is an excellent sander and identical to past German made Metabos. With quality paper and dust collection, it’s a joy to use.

If on a budget, with patience and persistence, the older Germany made Ridgid’s pop up on the auction sight and sell very cheap for the quality of tool you’re getting. I think I saw a recent selling price of $50 or less including shipping on a lightly used one.

(02-18-2022, 09:36 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: The dust collection is a little different for the Cubitron stuff. Since it's a mesh, my whole velcro pad gets full of dust and I have to vacuum it off each time I put on a new disc. Otherwise the velcro loses its holding power and the sanding disc starts to slip around. Besides that minor hiccup, am happy with the overall dust collection while using it on my old Bosch sander and a shop vac. Every sander is different and the mesh discs might affect the dust collection.

Not exactly.  

Cubitron is only recently been made in mesh style.  The xtract version.

Historically it has been a paper/film disc like most.
(02-18-2022, 09:36 AM)mr_skittle Wrote: The dust collection is a little different for the Cubitron stuff. Since it's a mesh, my whole velcro pad gets full of dust and I have to vacuum it off each time I put on a new disc. Otherwise the velcro loses its holding power and the sanding disc starts to slip around. Besides that minor hiccup, am happy with the overall dust collection while using it on my old Bosch sander and a shop vac. Every sander is different and the mesh discs might affect the dust collection.

Good point, I had forgot about that. The velcro pad was almost completely clogged for me as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My GET75 from Acme arrived today. It seems to work fine, but I wouldn't want it to be my only sander. This will be for rough sanding or refinish sanding. 

The turbo mode really hogs off the material. Make sure you install the second handle for that mode.

This tool about a minute with 60 grit paper.

Dust collection isn't perfect, but works pretty well. The Bosch port fits the Festool hose, which works for me.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.