random orbital sander
I've got a plain-jane Bosch ROS that comes in around the $100 mark that has served me well. I was browsing a sale at ACME and found a different Bosch for $300. The model number is GET75-6N. Here's the link https://www.acmetools.com/6-in-dual-mode...34969.html  Other than a bigger motor, what the heck makes it so much better and expensive. Don't take this as a gripe about an expensive tool. I'm genuinely curious what the big difference is. I've recently switched to making furniture for money, in addition to a hobby, and I'm trying to key in on tools that will make my work more efficient.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
There's a similar sander made by Festool, that is it has a high stock removal function and can be switched over to normal ROS function. My take on it is the hogging off can be useful in certain situations, none of which apply to me. But if that's something you see your self doing it may well be worth it. I think the competing Festool is the RO 150 FEQ.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have an earlier versiom of that Bosch 6" dual action ROS. It's a hoss, but I don't use it nearly as much as I use my smaller 5" Bosch ROS. I probably would not replace it if it died.
$50 off Bosch right now at ACME if you didn’t know already. Check into the festool rotex to see what all the hype is about. The Bosch gets good head to head reviews against the rotex. I don’t own either but the Bosch is in my cart right now.
(02-16-2022, 06:16 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: $50 off Bosch right now at ACME if you didn’t know already. Check into the festool rotex to see what all the hype is about. The Bosch gets good head to head reviews against the rotex. I don’t own either but the Bosch is in my cart right now.

I was aware of the sale. That's what got me looking. I wish it would have been going on a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my 2.3HP plunge router.

I'm not hearing anyone make a case for a sander from this class. It kind of sounds like if you've got a drum sander, something like this isn't terribly useful. I guess that depends on the size of the pieces you work with. Maybe folks who do big slabs or tabletops find it useful.

For the past several years I have used a Milwaulkee RO sander. After just a few minutes using it I was cover in dust. I blew dust buggers, and there was dust on all the shop. I hooked up shop vac to it and it was better but I mickey moused the hook up hose and it fell off every once in awhile. A couple weeks ago I made the plunge, mainly for my health, to a Festool vac and sander. The hose and power cord is still a pain, but it stays connected. No more dust up the nose, and less dust on all the shop surfaces. Does the Festool sander do a better job sander? MAYBE. But my health is worth the $$ spent.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
"$50 off Bosch right now at ACME if you didn’t know already."

You guys are a band influence. Mine will be here next week.

I have the ROS65VC-6 and really like it. I'm not sure if they make it anymore. The smaller festool hose fits on this one and the little 1/4 sander I have.

My previous sander is a low-end PC 5" sander, so the Bosch was a step up. It works a lot better.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
If you need an excellent ROS then it's hard to beat the Bosch ROS65VC.  But it looks like it's been replaced by the GEX346N.  That looks to be just like the ROS65VC and it's less than half the price of the Festool ETC ES-150 sanders.  

The dual mode sanders are good for heavy stock removal, as already stated.  For my work, I've never found that to be needed but if you do a lot of sculpted furniture work then it should be under serious consideration.  

John
I don't know about those specific models, but one worthwhile feature some of the higher priced Bosch (and other) sanders have is low vibration. That can make a huge difference to the way you feel during and after a sanding session.
(02-17-2022, 10:52 AM)Alan S Wrote: I don't know about those specific models, but one worthwhile feature some of the higher priced Bosch (and other) sanders have is low vibration.  That can make a huge difference to the way you feel during and after a sanding session.

So this is an example of a feature that I didn't consider. Less vibration is definitely worth a few extra bucks. I stick to mostly flat and square furniture and parts so heavy removal mode wouldn't offer an advantage for me.