MAGSWITCH
Hi all.  I have been looking at magswitches, but I have questions.  I have been trying to find out how strong of a magswitch I really need.  There are several strengths, but do I really need the strongest for general tablesaw and drill press applications?  I can't see any time that one of these 150 magswitches would be a necessity in my shop.

Can you folks give me any directions concernibng this subject?  Can't see spending a lot for something I won'r really need.

Thianks.

Ray7
I use the 95's

Here is one on my custom dust shroud for my oscillating sander.  

I just use one so I can pivot the shroud as needed.  One 95 holds the shroud in place firm enough but can still pivot as needed.

I've heard the 60's aren't as reliable holding things in place.

My opinion would be to go with the 95's

"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
I use a harbor freight magnetic base for a dial indicator. They work like the magswitch but a lot cheaper.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I've got two feather boards with the 95s and they've held everything so far. I really like them, well worth the cost of admission.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
that's a great idea Klaz, I think I am going to make one too.
It depends on what you are trying to do and on how slippery your surface is.

If you are trying to position a dust collector, then you do not care if it moves around some during use.

For a featherboard on a TS or router table, then you need enough magnetic strength to stay where you put it for the series of boards that you are ripping. If you have ultra-polished your table surface and waxed it well, it is possible that no amount of magnetic strength will hold the featherboard in place without help.

For a tall re-saw fence on a BS, you have the same sort of concern about the fence moving during a re-saw plus you have the height of the fence as a lever arm trying to pry the magnets loose.

For the BS case, you probably want the strongest magswitch (capability, not necessarily the brand) that you can get.

If you get a pair of strong ones, you can use them to evaluate what you might need in your various applications.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-16-2022, 11:35 AM)falcon Wrote: Hi all.  I have been looking at magswitches, but I have questions.  I have been trying to find out how strong of a magswitch I really need.  There are several strengths, but do I really need the strongest for general tablesaw and drill press applications?  I can't see any time that one of these 150 magswitches would be a necessity in my shop.

Can you folks give me any directions concernibng this subject?  Can't see spending a lot for something I won'r really need.

Thianks.

Ray7

I just bought some.  I got them on Amazon.  I got 150#.  I got the starter set of two for $75.  It comes with a nice feather board.  You can buy a set of two 150 without the feather board for $74.40 (DAMHIKT).  They are very easy to use, which will prompt use.  If something is fiddly or time consuming, you won't use it often.
(02-17-2022, 09:30 AM)RPE1 Wrote: I just bought some.  I got them on Amazon.  I got 150#.  I got the starter set of two for $75.  It comes with a nice feather board.  You can buy a set of two 150 without the feather board for $74.40 (DAMHIKT).  They are very easy to use, which will prompt use.  If something is fiddly or time consuming, you won't use it often.

Please post link to the set you found for $75. Thanks. I found one of what you describe but it was $109/
https://www.amazon.com/Magswitch-MAGJIG-...9KW6Q?th=1
For just a pair of magswitches...
These were linked from REP1's link:
Magswitch - 8110328 Table Feather Board Pro Model 
"Features 2 powerful on/off Magswitches. Each with 150 lb./67kg of holding force."

If you want a featherboard with 2ea 95# magswitches:
Magswitch - 8110015 Table Featherboard Universal Model, Yellow for $55.28
The one on that page with 2magnets that are 150# has non-removable (but switchable) magnets.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.