Yet another sharpening thread
Politics 
This one is primarily for carving tools but starting at about 12:00. he discusses flat chisels, if that's all you're interested in. But most of us can learn something from the technique he uses for all types of chisels, as well as the equipment he uses and I advise watching it from the beginning...IMO, it is the best hand sharpening video out there..His section on strops and stropping technique is worth the time also..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJMy2Y--oCU
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hmmm..I wondered what that smell was......
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thank you, that was very useful to me.
It's all wood.
I liked his demonstration of the various bevels and the strop. I don’t agree with his ascertains. I think all gouges benefit from low primary bevels and back bevels. Carvers I know use them upside down.

And obviously I don’t agree flat surfaces are functional requirements.
It is nice to see someone demonstrate sharpening who doesn't look like they learned by watching U-Tube.
(02-18-2022, 09:06 AM)wmickley Wrote: It is nice to see someone demonstrate sharpening who doesn't look like they learned by watching U-Tube... And who looks like he's been around the block a few times.
Winkgrin
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-18-2022, 09:06 AM)wmickley Wrote: It is nice to see someone demonstrate sharpening who doesn't look like they learned by watching U-Tube.

Kind of ironic, given that in the opening of the video, the originator of the video magazine from which the sharpening video was taken said his intent was to take all of those videos and post them on a new YouTube channel.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Found this interesting video from Roger Stegall, a pretty decent carver.  He shows power stropping and uses diamond stones on his carving tools.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-21-2022, 06:17 PM)AHill Wrote: Found this interesting video from Roger Stegall, a pretty decent carver.  He shows power stropping and uses diamond stones on his carving tools.

Thanks for posting that Allan....I notice that he doesn't use a belt grinder and that is another very popular method of sharpening..The last carving show I attended had a vendor sharpening carving tools for attendees priced at three dollars each IIRC.He had two Veil machines set up side by side..one with a grinding belt and the other with a leather strop..So there are lots of ways to abrade metal, as you well know.
Here are two of mine...one of which I built several years ago..This one is the last of three I have made previously. It runs at 1100fpm in a direction away from the juser.

[Image: Np8-Nb-t6-Qe-Gf-SHo-MRPa-W7g.jpg]

[Image: fullsizeoutput-118c.jpg]

[Image: M4e1yhu-MTACe-FY3hv-GWeng.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset