A Jack, or a Fore?
Cleaning up and sorting planes, today....came across this plane...and once all the dust was removed..

Iron is 2" wide....length?

Well, that is a Millers Falls No. 15 sitting beside it.

Ruler says this is 18" long.   The chipbreaker is missing it's bolt, though....will see what the spares box has..

Might find some use for it?
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The way that the wedge is sitting makes me wonder if the original blade would have had a chipbreaker at all. Are there recesses in the wedge and in the body to allow clearance for that screw?

Is the yellowish spot on top of the nose from a missing knob or from being struck with an adjustment hammer?

There is some beautiful work that went into the making of that plane.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Look at the HNT Gordon Trying Plane for comparison. This is a Chinese-Malay style, high angle bed.

[Image: The%20HNT%20Gordon%20Smoother%20and%20Tr...f9a168.jpg]

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews...Plane.html

I use mine as a short jointer, great for edges.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Was just as easy to make this one....in my shop.  Just like in the video....from GE HONG.....
With the handles on the sides it makes me think of a floor plane do flatten floors.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Uses a Traditional Chinese grip. to push the plane along...Index fingers go alongside the iron...thumbs sit behind it...fingers barely rest on the handle during the push stroke, and are more for bring the plane back to the starting point.  

Yes...it is set up to be a Push Plane.
I don't understand how the sole works if you don't apply pressure to it.  I could see pulling that plane. You kinda want pressure on both ends with the iron somewhere in the middle?? So you have control?

The answer is that the plane shown is neither a jack nor a fore because those are both UK terms for pretty specific planes. I'm sure that plane has a name. Jack and Fore mean something about how, when, and who uses the planes with those names. This plane may be for something completely different (functionally).

BTW, if you find my response annoying and pedantic, you're not alone. I think I just bored myself!
That long front end is used to register the plane to the surface.    He was using this as a Jointer.   Japanese pull their planes...Chinese push theirs.

Long front end does have a bit of weight to it....Index fingers merely to that.
Yeah, usually I need pressure on the toe of my planes and not a little bit.On Japanese pull planes, guys hold that toe to apply pressure. On this, I don’t see how holding a stick and wrapping your fingers around would work. Or maybe this is a finishing plane not designed for substantial stock removal?

The holy trinity of wood planes, fore, try, smoother, may be only a Western European thing. Maybe Chinese workmen went from adze to really big chisel to plane. I guess that’s my point. I could believe the whole stock prep paradigm could be different.

Just in case this is interesting: when our founding fathers discovered the new world, they tried to categorize what they saw in terms of their own world views and experiences. We did the same with hand tools 20 yrs ago. My assumption is that Asian planes work, but they might function best in some other context. I feel the exact same way about hand tools in general.
no longer an issue....wood body is now fire wood...iron and chipbreaker are in the spares box.

That chapter has ended...
Sad