No gratitude for a quick little project
(02-28-2022, 09:45 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: The best I can come up with is that the arches are pointed because they point towards heaven.

That's the best I can come up with.

Jim

Ok... was watching Harry Potter yesterday. The arches were pointed in the hallways. The Head Mistress walked through one and her pointed hat just cleared the arch through the point. Food for thought. Maybe pointed hats? My wife wondered why I was laughing, this thread was the 1st thing that came to my mind.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Mitre hats, too.  The pointed arch is found throughout churches.

Attached Files Image(s)

Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(03-01-2022, 08:02 AM)R Clark Wrote: Mitre hats, too.  The pointed arch is found throughout churches.

Good point. 
Big Grin

Jim
Jim
Ok, so the pointed arches represent the pointed hats. I'll buy that. Next question; why are the hats pointed? They're not really necessary except for those characters on Saturday Night Live a few decades ago.

I still haven't found anything better.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(03-06-2022, 12:05 AM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Ok, so the pointed arches represent the pointed hats. I'll buy that. Next question; why are the hats pointed? They're not really necessary except for those characters on Saturday Night Live a few decades ago.

I still haven't found anything better.

Some post St Peter Pope probably designed the pointy mitre hat and it became the standard ... sometime after that someone decided that they could build a church using the pointy window/door detail to give it some flash .... who knows   .?
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.