Wedged through tenon question
(02-23-2022, 04:35 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: No experience with this, but, if your concern is consistent dimensions at the exit side of the tenon, why not make the tenon that will be wedged a little narrower than the others, cut your mortise with tapered walls so that the visible (exit) dimension is consistent with the other mortises, and call it good?

That occurred to me. But keep in mind, in this orientation, the tenon spans the thickness of the board.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(02-23-2022, 10:11 PM)Aram Wrote: That occurred to me. But keep in mind, in this orientation, the tenon spans the thickness of the board.

You probably know this, but just in case- keep in mind that as people talk about tapering the mortise or this or that taper, the saw cuts in the tenon need to be placed such that the material on the outside of the kerf is a leaf spring. If it’s too thick, the tenon will resist the wedges force. Too thin and you may simply crack that little piece off. Test tenon is a good idea.

You really don’t want much taper or any. The tenon end grain is exposed in the final piece and will dry faster than the rest of the part, shrinking the end of the tenon over time. Don’t help it. The wedge preloads the joint so that as the tenon shrinks at the end, it relieves the preload and maintains moment capability.