touching up a Waterlox finish
I will be installing a maple countertop this week and I'm looking for tips on doing any touch-ups. I have to join the sections on-site so there's always that slight chance something gets dinged. I'm worried that any touch-ups will clearly show but I'm not really sure. With Waterlox being an oil-based finished, will it be easy to blend in? Should I just thin it a little with mineral spirits (top ingredient) to help it flow out?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Only did it once, countertop got scratched on the install.
I steel wooled the whole section and recoated.
Looking back, l don't think Waterlox is durable enough for a kitchen counter. I would really like to see what it looks like now after 3 years of use.....

Ed
(02-22-2022, 11:07 PM)EdL Wrote: Only did it once, countertop got scratched on the install.
I steel wooled the whole section and recoated.
Looking back, l don't think Waterlox is durable enough for a kitchen counter. I would really like to see what it looks like now after 3 years of use.....

Ed

If you're not cutting on the countertop, it'll be fine.  Waterlox was originally developed as a finish for hardwood floors, so it's plenty durable when cured.  But, if you're cutting on the countertop, I'd use butcher block finish (mineral oil and beeswax).  I also recommend thinning it out a bit and abrading the scratch or defect before applying the finish to the affected area.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
The counter went in with no issues! Thank goodness I don't need to worry about touchups.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(02-24-2022, 12:01 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: The counter went in with no issues! Thank goodness I don't need to worry about touchups.

Good to hear.  As long as they don't cut on it or put a hot pan on it it will last a really long time.  

If you ever do need to a touch up, as suggested, just lightly abrade the area that's damaged, and then lay on some additional Waterlox thinning it a little to help it flow out.  You need to build it up higher than the surrounding area so it likely will take several coats.  After it cures a week or two, you can flatten it level with the rest of the surface and then polish it back to match the rest.  

John