A "Before & After"
A recent Antique Mall find....the kind that when you pick it up to look it over..it just doesn't want to be set back on the shelf..

Price tag said $25 +sales Tax.   About a #3 size. 

A Millers Falls No. 8, Type 2?

Patent date on the lever cap..

Wasn't anything cracked no broke on it.  Sole wasn't too hateful..

Paid the $26.81 and went home....thinking I could spruce it up a bit....Stared with a tear down..

Hmmm, a bit rough?

Frog face still had the factory milling marks...

That black bolt is the frog adjuster bolt....looks like Spidey has left the building?

Start the timer at 1219 hrs for the rehab....stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ok, everything apart?   Cheap brush with some 3in1 oil in it...

There IS a machine to set up..

Wire wheel & buffer....All bolts went to the wire wheel....and then buffed out.   Same with the brass parts.   Frog face took a ride on the beltsander, lever cap was simply buffed up..

Slowly, parts were cleaned up, shined up..and assembly could begin.

Adjusters look better?

Sole was actually flat, just needed a good cleaning..same with the sides...

Nice reflection.   Handles were given a wipe with that oily brush, and then a rag wipe down...

Which left the chipbreaker and the iron.....there is a hole on the chipbreaker, to allow the lever cap's bolt to go through...had a big (finger snagger) burr..HAD.
Gap-free to the iron was done, one the back of the iron was cleaned up ( more milling marks) and the "hump" smoothed and polished up on the buffer...Chipbreakers bolt was also cleaned up...which left the iron to sharpen up.....honed to 2000 grit..test drive.....lots of little nicks along the edge...Re-do the bevel..test again..still a couple nicks?  One more try...can't see anything...buffed things up, recheck the fit of the chipbreaker...set back 1mm from the edge..third test drive?

That should do it...problem?   Well..

Just didn't want to stop making shavings..at least long enough to turn around and face the camera..

Not too bad...for $25 + Sales Tax? 

Stop the rehab timer...at 1410hours....this took just under 2 hours to do....counting the time to stop and take a few pictures along the way...

All done.
Excellent job!  Very nice!
Time is not measured by a watch, but by moments.
That did come out quite nice.  

I'm not overly familiar with MF numbering.  What would that be equivalent to on the Stanley side?
A Millers Falls No. 8 is the same size as a Stanley No. 3
(02-23-2022, 09:54 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Ok, everything apart?   Cheap brush with some 3in1 oil in it...

There IS a machine to set up..

Wire wheel & buffer....All bolts went to the wire wheel....and then buffed out.   Same with the brass parts.   Frog face took a ride on the beltsander, lever cap was simply buffed up..

Slowly, parts were cleaned up, shined up..and assembly could begin.

Adjusters look better?

Sole was actually flat, just needed a good cleaning..same with the sides...

Nice reflection.   Handles were given a wipe with that oily brush, and then a rag wipe down...

Which left the chipbreaker and the iron.....there is a hole on the chipbreaker, to allow the lever cap's bolt to go through...had a big (finger snagger) burr..HAD.
Gap-free to the iron was done, one the back of the iron was cleaned up ( more milling marks) and the "hump" smoothed and polished up on the buffer...Chipbreakers bolt was also cleaned up...which left the iron to sharpen up.....honed to 2000 grit..test drive.....lots of little nicks along the edge...Re-do the bevel..test again..still a couple nicks?  One more try...can't see anything...buffed things up, recheck the fit of the chipbreaker...set back 1mm from the edge..third test drive?

That should do it...problem?   Well..

Just didn't want to stop making shavings..at least long enough to turn around and face the camera..

Not too bad...for $25 + Sales Tax? 

Stop the rehab timer...at 1410hours....this took just under 2 hours to do....counting the time to stop and take a few pictures along the way...

All done.

I like miller falls and that one would be a dream to use and now looks good to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.