Scrap Pile Refugees
Was getting a bit out of hand....decided to sort through the mess...stuff that should have been tossed long ago, was...which left..

And a "chunky" one...

Might get a few parts from it?   Resaw on the tablesaw,  except for these..

Digging around found these 5...lids and box bottoms?

Ok, set up to resaw the rest of the mess to ~ 1/2" thick....trying to get the "better" stuff....most of the thin stuff was tossed..so..

This is what I wound up with.....started to see IF some would make a couple small boxes..

A cut here, a trim there...and maybe a fancy lid?

None of these parts are the same width....some were tapered...

A second box, maybe?  

Hmm, top, or bottom?

Will see how the pile holds up...only use for these boxes is to reduce the scrap bin...

Stay tuned
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Ha!: Scraps: can't get rid of them, frequently trip over them. As a child of the sixties, I was taught by my parents who were children of the depression to not be wasteful: this lesson was taken to heart. After working with wood for a number of years, the scraps seem to have more than just a monetary value, and a value that goes beyond the "not being wasteful" ethos. It breaks my heart to toss a fine piece of cherry into the garbage: who knows what it could have become?
Heat the house with it. Then it didn't go to waste.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(02-24-2022, 07:08 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: Ha!: Scraps: can't get rid of them, frequently trip over them. As a child of the sixties, I was taught by my parents who were children of the depression to not be wasteful: this lesson was taken to heart. After working with wood for a number of years, the scraps seem to have more than just a monetary value, and a value that goes beyond the "not being wasteful" ethos. It breaks my heart to toss a fine piece of cherry into the garbage: who knows what it could have been become?

Funny I have been going through lots of piles of scrap making bee equipment.  I have to say putting it to use freeing up space and getting something useful
out of it has made me happy enough.   I have 17 more bee boxes to make out of shelving pulled out of a garage.  I might be able to find a better use for it but bee boxes are what I need and I kept it all out of a landfill.  I tore apart a shop for a guy that needed a heart transplant  loads of 1/2" ply making bait boxes out of it.  He got he the transplant
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Got to thinking..dangerous, I know...but the boxes just didn't seem deep enough...would have been more like a tray, and too small at that...so

Sorted through the stack of parts...getting two strips to almost match each other...got one pair..

Into the clamps...and sorted a few more to get the other long side..

Then see about 2 ends..

Some needed a few passes with a Sargent/Dunlap No. 408 as a jointer..soon had 4 glue-ups..

Which tied up the tablesaw for the night....2 sides, and 2 ends

Which means this other pile will just have to wait it's turn...

When these are in the clamps, I can clean up the first batch of glue-ups....then decide on how to join the corners, how to add a bottom and a lid of some sort...

Stay tuned...
First batch is out of the clamps..

Glue joints cleaned up, ends squared up, Lengths matched up, edges jointed with that Millers Falls No.8..

Trying to match up the grain all around the outside.   Next batch?

Edges needed jointed, some parts were switched around...Some defects were tossed...took a while, but....

Second batch is in the clamps.   May head to the shop after a bit..and get the clamps put away?

Thinking maybe 1/4" through dovetails for the corners?  Then see about a panel for the bottoms....then a lid of some sort? 

Stay tuned..
2nd batch came out of the clamps today..

Needing a bit of work...ends squared up, width ripped some all 4 are the same....and flattening..

All squared...and..

They be flat, now..

Have enough to make a pair of boxes...including the bottom panels.

Items that did not make the grade?

We have ways....fun part will be hauling this thing upstairs to the Firepit....weather permitting...

Stay tuned...
(02-27-2022, 06:36 PM)bandit571 Wrote: 2nd batch came out of the clamps today..

Needing a bit of work...ends squared up, width ripped some all 4 are the same....and flattening..

All squared...and..

They be flat, now..

Have enough to make a pair of boxes...including the bottom panels.

Items that did not make the grade?

We have ways....fun part will be hauling this thing upstairs to the Firepit....weather permitting...

Stay tuned...

You don't need to haul it all at once
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Well, it do have wheels under it....can just pull it along, while going up the stairs......

Might try after a bit, today....and get a start on some dovetails....Pins first, of course...

Have to get the toys..er..tools out of the cabinet, first.....back in High School Ind. Arts class, we had to sign such things out of the "Tool Crib"..wonder IF I need to start a sign-out sheet?
Made a run to Hobby Lobby, yesterday.....was in need of hardware supplies for small boxes....hinges, handles, latches, bag of small screws...that sort of thing..

Nearest store was up in Lima, OH.....not quite 40 miles away.   Each way.

Also haul a couple 2x4s to the shop, as they were laying out on the back porch....letting them dry and get used to the shop.....before they become a stand for the drill press.

Sorted through the tool cabinet..for some dovetailing tools...

And..

That blue "egg" is a pencil sharpener...

Made some use of some of the tools..

To do a bit of lay out work...

Yes....I do indeed do Pins first...YMMV...then that saw got it's turn...

Disston No. 68.....Then some chisel work....As I normally just chop out the waste..show side first..

Then, flip over, change chisels, and finish the chops..

Yes I do have a coping saw....

I use it just like a rasp, to clean out all the nooks and crannies...Then use these pins to lay out the tails..saw the tails on the waste side of the lines, then chop the waste out, clean up with the Millers Falls coping saw..and see about a dry fit?

Not too hateful?    Problems began with the next corner....that I did not catch until all the pins were cut and ready to lay out corner #2's tails....pins were facing the wrong direction....Grrrrrrr.    Mitre box to remove the offending pins....decided I had had quite enough fun for one day...and, that I was getting in a rush...watching the clock more than watching the wood....THAT will change, next time in the shop.   Box only lost a 1/2" of width.  But still....

Stay tuned....