Angled apron and leg design help?
I would really like to get into mid-century design furniture.  I really like the style.  I have a commission for a piece in that design coming soon, but it's with a specific plan that lays out the funky angles, with videos and templates to assist.

I'll be honest:  I struggle simply designing square furniture.  Tossing in angles throws me off.

I have somebody who wants a table in the style and sent me a picture from a catalog.  I use Sketchup decently well and could likely draw it out if I could come up with dimensions and angles.

Can any of y'all offer advice/assistance on how to get started on such a thing?  I am completely lost when it comes to *design*.  I know I can build it with floating tenons, so that's not an issue.

Help?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(02-26-2022, 12:14 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I would really like to get into mid-century design furniture.  I really like the style.  I have a commission for a piece in that design coming soon, but it's with a specific plan that lays out the funky angles, with videos and templates to assist.

I'll be honest:  I struggle simply designing square furniture.  Tossing in angles throws me off.

I have somebody who wants a table in the style and sent me a picture from a catalog.  I use Sketchup decently well and could likely draw it out if I could come up with dimensions and angles.

Can any of y'all offer advice/assistance on how to get started on such a thing?  I am completely lost when it comes to *design*.  I know I can build it with floating tenons, so that's not an issue.

Help?

There is a way to import a photo into SketchUp.  I've never used it but I know it can be done.  Maybe DaveR1 will come along to assist.  Or you could send him a PM or email.  Otherwise, you will need some dimensions and/or an actual drawing to work from, or you could guess, draw it in SketchUp and compare your progress to the photo you have.  

There's a very good article in the most recent issue of FWW on building a table with splayed legs.  

John
Oops. Disaster averted.

They want a table that I have plans for. That table there was what they ordered, but had been delayed for months.
Semper fi,
Brad

Fine Woodworking has a blog or section of their website that is dedicated to designing in sketchup. It's helped me over a few humps in the past. If you are already proficient at Sketchup, it would probably be helpful to browse.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/