building a work bench
In my opinion and I say that because everyone has one, the most important detail of a work bench is the height of the bench. I will come back to it.

I have the room for a big bench. I wanted to build a workbench just big enough so I could put the top into the bed my pick up truck. I can put a full sized sheet of plywood in-between the wheel wells and still close the tail gate. Also I prefer to glue up panels on my bench and the clamps of choice are Bessey K clamps 24 inches long. So I wanted to be able to place the clamps a crossed the top and have every part of the clamp completely on the top.

I had sold my last bench and didn't have anything to work on or from. Also I prefer the Frank Klausz style over the Roubo style. Today it seems that more woodworkers prefer the Roubo, but I travel to the beat of aa different drum.

Anyway hopefully know you will understand the pictures a little bit better.

I built a frame out of 2x4s and from past experiences started with a height of 35 1/2 inches. Now that is to the top of the plywood on the frame. Just a note: kitchen counter tops are 36 inches off the floor, standard height today.

Anyway you will see from the photos the progression I went through to come up with the height. The height that my body liked is 34 1/2 inches. (Let me be clear about this.) this is the height my body likes, not the height your body will like. Not yours.

I took the frame apart a couple of time to cut off the legs. and when I was finished I thought I should have built the frame shorter and then just raised the bench by pitting a 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick of plywood under the legs for the height. What you don't see is I had to shrove the bench up against something so it wouldn't move when planning.

Latter on, after the bench was built I saw a YouTube video by Tom Choplin and he said to make your bench 4 hands high. And do you know what? 4 hands which are in exact proportion to my body are very nearly prefect to 34 1/2 inches. He said the width of the bench should be an arms length or roughly 3 hands which is basically the length from your shoulder to the first knuckles on your fist. Now for me that is 25 7/8ths Which fits my desire for my 24 inch Bessey clamps.

Now to be truthful a bench should be no larger than its invirement permits. My shop will support the size, if yours will not it is not my fault, so please do not find fault with mine.

I wrote this for the one who is thinking about either building his, her, first first bench or possible a new one able to serve them better. I hope this aswers the most important question which is about height and it can only come through some trail and error.

Height is to me the most important part of the bench. Mine is 35 inches because I stand on a rubber mat that is all but 1/2 inch thich. Thus the 34 1/2 height is maintained.

My currant bench finished

Tom
Tom,  very nice looking bench.   I agree, height is a personal choice, and also impacted by what work you do.  Some like having a Moxon vise , so that certain work can be done higher than the standard bench height.
(02-27-2022, 11:52 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Tom,  very nice looking bench.   I agree, height is a personal choice, and also impacted by what work you do.  Some like having a Moxon vise , so that certain work can be done higher than the standard bench height.

I made a statement that I should write on. A hand, the way it was shown, was with the hand spread, the measurement is from the tip of the thumb to the tip of your little finger. Mine is a ( little over) 8 1/2 inches. 8.5 times 4 is 34 and a little over  is 4 times over. I came to the conclusion and made my bench 35 inches high long before I saw tom Chaplin's YouTube video.  I thought it was remarkable that it came out the same and so I thought I would pass along the information. I think it is a good place to start. I didn't say that the measurement is locked in stone.

Just in case, My bench is  35 inches high and the rubber mat that is in front of my bench is almost 1/2 inch to the actual height that come into play is 34 1/2.

Tom
(02-27-2022, 11:52 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Tom,  very nice looking bench.   I agree, height is a personal choice, and also impacted by what work you do.  Some like having a Moxon vise , so that certain work can be done higher than the standard bench height.

While the bench was still in the build stage.

Tom
That is a nice bench ! I just finished well almost done (my first) I just need to add a vise or 2. On the height I tried this advice from the Anarchistic Work Bench (hope it's Ok to use a quote from the book)
"So, with all that preamble, how do I determine how high my workbench
should be inside the historical range of 28" to 36"? I stand with
my arms relaxed by my side and measure from the floor to the point
where my pinky finger joins my hand. That’s my personal ideal."
And some common sense I've worked off saw horses, carpenters benches & job site built saw stands for years I made a living as a carpenter. So I measured from floor to pinky finger joint & it was 30" (I'm 5'10") and I knew that height was way to low for me. So I clamped a board to table saw top and planed it TS height is 35" that was a bit to tall so I settled on 34". It will take me some time to see how that works out.
Bench height is important, to tall you loose leverage to short very uncomfortable. In my younger years I could adapt to all kinds of bench top work heights but now at 64 I want an ideal work surface height.
(02-28-2022, 09:20 AM)2link2 Wrote: That is a nice bench ! I just finished well almost done (my first) I just need to add a vise or 2. On the height I tried this advice from the Anarchistic Work Bench (hope it's Ok to use a quote from the book)
"So, with all that preamble, how do I determine how high my workbench
should be inside the historical range of 28" to 36"? I stand with
my arms relaxed by my side and measure from the floor to the point
where my pinky finger joins my hand. That’s my personal ideal."
And some common sense I've worked off saw horses, carpenters benches & job site built saw stands for years I made a living as a carpenter. So I measured from floor to pinky finger joint & it was 30" (I'm 5'10") and I knew that height was way to low for me. So I clamped a board to table saw top and planed it TS height is 35" that was a bit to tall so I settled on 34". It will take me some time to see how that works out.
Bench height is important, to tall you loose leverage to short very uncomfortable. In my younger years I could adapt to all kinds of bench top work heights but now at 64 I want an ideal work surface height.

I am about the same height as you. My body liked 34 1/2 inches through trial and error.  If I measure for a hand I get a little over 8 1/2 inches which works out to 34 plus. I think you have nailed the height for you.

As far as hands go , if you spread your hand out and measure from the tip of your thumb to the type of your little finger that is the distance I was told. I know they measure horses by hands but how and to where, I do not know. Mine is a little over 8 1/2 inches which multiplies out to be a little under 34 1/2 inches. I figured out the 34 1/2 and made my bench that height long before I saw Toms YouTube video and I was surprised how accurate I found it to be. It is in proportion to my body and I think it works so I am passing it on to anyone who will Listen. I said listen, not to find an exception. It is a good place to start. I didn't say to make it that height, I said a good place to start. When measuring horses the hand is 4 inches

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/...%20than%20that.
This is a good thread, IMO.  I'm going to start a workbench this spring.

Jim Tolpin shares the same guidance--4 hands high for a planing bench.  He also recommends 5 hands for a sawing bench, and 6 for precision chisel work.

https://www.byhandandeye.com/sizing-workbenches/
(02-28-2022, 07:29 PM)grwold Wrote: This is a good thread, IMO.  I'm going to start a workbench this spring.

Jim Tolpin shares the same guidance--4 hands high for a planing bench.  He also recommends 5 hands for a sawing bench, and 6 for precision chisel work.

There a good project, my lesson learned is don't get to hung up on the cost. If I would have known how many hours I'd have in it I would have bought better wood. I used 2X DF #2 for legs & stretches & Hem Fir for the top, it's all hand done draw bore M&T joints no glue or fasteners. After building it the old saying of "gold plating a turd" came to mind. But the good thing is it's really rock solid & didn't cost much ! I still need to add 2 vises & some storage drawers.

(02-28-2022, 07:29 PM)grwold Wrote: This is a good thread, IMO.  I'm going to start a workbench this spring.

I found Jim's video eye opening. And I agree with him on sizes, But most hobbyist do not have the room for 3 different heights of benches. This is why I said you have to find out what is right for you. I believe 4 hands high is a good starting place. But like Smoky the Bear says only you can get the height that is right for you and the type of work you do. And type of work you do is the key element and pertains only to you .

Tom