Hi, beginner with some questions.
@barryvabeach thanks for the reply. im really sold on the saw. someone also told me that resale value on a sawstop is really good and i think i'll do that with the plywood, cut them slightly oversized then trim on the TS ty.

@Admiral, i read about that. That the motors were burning out in the 2020's but i thought they fixed it? either way i think im already sold on the sawstop boat. this was more of a "lets make sure" before i buy thing. the wife gave me the ok for the sawstop, but if i decide not to go for it, its not like i get the cash the spend on something else lol
I have a very small shop too, about 13 x 17 and can rip a 4 x 8 sheet if I have to, but like the others said, it's just much easier to do with a circular saw or have it broken down where you buy it.  I got a SS contractors saw with CI wings in 2008 and have been very happy with it, so another vote for option 1, but would add a recommendation for the CI wings if you can manage - it makes the saw feel very stable.

Also, I'd emphasize what John said about who's most likely to have an accident.  Short story: an electrician friend got zapped early in his career and told me when he went to the hospital he was embarrassed about his mistake and asked the doctor if he saw mostly noobs in the emergency room.  The doctor said he only had it half right; most of the ER accidents he saw were either inexperienced guys, or guys with 20+ years of experience.  Made a pretty big impression on me at the time.
My left thumb, ring and middle finger, and the good doctors who put them back together, saw SAWSTOP!!!!!

You said "36 in rip length" but don't you mean width?  With a couple of Harbor Freight roller supports I can rip sheets of plywood by myself (don't like to but sometimes it happens
Rolleyes)

My Lowe's will breakdown sheets to manageable sizes on their panel saw.  BIG help sometimes.

But go with the SawStop and a couple of good blades.

What's a good blade?  That's a whole 'nuther thread.  We all have our favorites.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Consider skipping the table saw. If you are thinking about cabinet making with sheet goods, I think a track saw is a more practical choice for a small shop.

I know guys here love their table saws, but I think the track saw is a game changer. And there are many on the market, not just Festool.

If I were you, I’d consider a large work table that can double as a hand tool bench and maybe a bandsaw. Set up a fence for the BS and finish your edge cuts with a long hand plane.

Of course it all depends on what you have in mind regarding projects. Might be a good idea to pose a question about something you want to build and ask the good folks here to talk through how they would do it.
I’d get the Sawstop then add a tracksaw later if you think you need one. I can’t imagine not having a cabinet TS as part of my shop but as others have posted a tracksaw and MFT table get it done for a lot of people now. I think my TS affliction is mostly due to learning the majority of my early WW from Norm Abram, who loved his TS, nail guns, and safety glasses.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around a while and keep posting questions. This is a great site and it’s nice to see some new folks joining in.
(02-28-2022, 05:33 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: My left thumb, ring and middle finger, and the good doctors who put them back together, saw SAWSTOP!!!!!

You said "36 in rip length" but don't you mean width?  With a couple of Harbor Freight roller supports I can rip sheets of plywood by myself (don't like to but sometimes it happens
Rolleyes)

My Lowe's will breakdown sheets to manageable sizes on their panel saw.  BIG help sometimes.

But go with the SawStop and a couple of good blades.

What's a good blade?  That's a whole 'nuther thread.  We all have our favorites.
Laugh

Yes lol, 36" length i wanted the upgraded T-track fence. i think with me its the space. we have a washing machine at the end of the garage and wife has giving me the space in front of that. another factor is the inexperience. its something im going to have to learn eventually but for now im really weighing options and such. As for the lowes and HP ripping down plywood, i did that when i built my fish tank stand but both places has "out of order" signs on them for a while. i kinda wanna try the circular saw with a diy guide and see how it fares or a cheap wen track saw with powertec tracks

also, thanks for the reply and advice~
(02-28-2022, 01:50 PM)Bach1750 Wrote: I have a very small shop too, about 13 x 17 and can rip a 4 x 8 sheet if I have to, but like the others said, it's just much easier to do with a circular saw or have it broken down where you buy it.  I got a SS contractors saw with CI wings in 2008 and have been very happy with it, so another vote for option 1, but would add a recommendation for the CI wings if you can manage - it makes the saw feel very stable.

Also, I'd emphasize what John said about who's most likely to have an accident.  Short story: an electrician friend got zapped early in his career and told me when he went to the hospital he was embarrassed about his mistake and asked the doctor if he saw mostly noobs in the emergency room.  The doctor said he only had it half right; most of the ER accidents he saw were either inexperienced guys, or guys with 20+ years of experience.  Made a pretty big impression on me at the time.

Thanks for the reply. The cast iron wings are expensive >< i would love but i think right now i use that cash towards a harbor freight dust extractor. its gonna have to be a future buy ><
(02-28-2022, 06:53 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Consider skipping the table saw. If you are thinking about cabinet making with sheet goods, I think a track saw is a more practical choice for a small shop.

I know guys here love their table saws, but I think the track saw is a game changer. And there are many on the market, not just Festool. 

If I were you, I’d consider a large work table that can double as a hand tool bench and maybe a bandsaw. Set up a fence for the BS and finish your edge cuts with a long hand plane.

Of course it all depends on what you have in mind regarding projects. Might be a good idea to pose a question about something you want to build and ask the good folks here to talk through how they would do it.

thanks for the reply, i did think about this....admittedly some of the repetitious cuts like for draws can be done with a miter saw? but i think i want a table saw i think id come to regret it in the future.
(02-28-2022, 07:56 PM)Leandre Wrote: Yes lol, 36" length i wanted the upgraded T-track fence. i think with me its the space. we have a washing machine at the end of the garage and wife has giving me the space in front of that. another factor is the inexperience. its something im going to have to learn eventually but for now im really weighing options and such. As for the lowes and HP ripping down plywood, i did that when i built my fish tank stand but both places has "out of order" signs on them for a while. i kinda wanna try the circular saw with a diy guide and see how it fares or a cheap wen track saw with powertec tracks

also, thanks for the reply and advice~

The T-Glide fence is a great fence.  I love mine every time I use it.  Even with that fence, I usually break down full sheets on the floor using extruded foam as a pad under the sheet.  I use clamping guides as the straight edge when I'm working that.  Horsing a 3/4" sheet of plywood is not my idea of fun.  I ain't as young as I used to be.

(02-28-2022, 07:59 PM)Leandre Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. The cast iron wings are expensive >< i would love but i think right now i use that cash towards a harbor freight dust extractor. its gonna have to be a future buy ><

I have the HF that I've converted to a 2-stage cyclone DC.  It's sufficient for my shop; not the best, but sufficient.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(02-28-2022, 06:53 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Consider skipping the table saw. If you are thinking about cabinet making with sheet goods, I think a track saw is a more practical choice for a small shop.

Sorry, a shop is really not a shop without a tablesaw. Stick with the Sawstop.

Doug