Hi, beginner with some questions.
Glad you are enjoying your new PCS - a great decision. I too once had an injury with a razor knife that required stitches. However, the more important point IMO is that it was far from the most severe injury I could've had. Sawstop removes this from the equation.

Doug
(04-03-2022, 07:11 AM)R Clark Wrote: Yes, the PCS will be a LOT quieter than the miter saw.  I still wear hearing protection when I'm running the PCS, though.

The tablesaw is usually run with the dust collector on, making the need to wear hear protection obvious. Some even run the air filtration system at the same time too. I think the pcs 3hp's noise level is 80 dB or much less.

Simon
@ R Clark the TS is 110v i felt like i should of put in one dedicated 220 just in case but i really doubt id upgrade for a long time and the cost of this "little" hobbie is already getting out of control >< but really having fun with this

@ K.L McReynolds ty and taking this saw slowly not just for safety reason, still a bit scared of this ><

@ Tapper this was the main reason i got the sawstop. i looked at the Harveys after i bought the sawstop and wondered if i made the wrong decision. it was a grand cheaper and a bit more powerful. the magswitch will arrive on thursday then i can install the jess'em guide too (gonna mount it on the a piece of 3/4 then magnet it to the fence) for that extra bit of safety.

@ Handsplanesandmore definitely didnt have anything running. waiting on a 4" hose to get here before i can set things up on that end

having a lot of fun just setting up shop, i do feel like the guy who bought some expensive Champaign and drinking out of a paper cup. sawstop and the rest of my stuff is ryobi lol
You "done good" - congrats and enjoy!!!

Doug
I've always believed that when a person is scared of a tool or a piece of machinery, they have a much higher probability of injury when using that equipment.

I respect my tools and make sure I understand how they work and how to safely use them. Of course, when using a new or unfamiliar tool, there is a level of uncertainty which is natural. Or should be.

Example, have used several models of table saws, from benchtop to cabinet models. The safety practices necessary with each type is different. Benchtop models are lighter and more underpowered. That actually increases the possibility of kickback or mistakes. Powerful cabinet saws will cause much more serious kickback/etc. injuries  with misuse. Dull edges on cutting tools increases the possibilities of an injury, since more physical force is necessary to make a cut and a misalignment or slip can cause a serious injury, be the tool a hand chisel or table saw.

Tool/machine use should be fun, not scary.
(04-04-2022, 07:33 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: I've always believed that when a person is scared of a tool or a piece of machinery, they have a much higher probability of injury when using that equipment.

I respect my tools and make sure I understand how they work and how to safely use them. Of course, when using a new or unfamiliar tool, there is a level of uncertainty which is natural. Or should be.

Example, have used several models of table saws, from benchtop to cabinet models. The safety practices necessary with each type is different. Benchtop models are lighter and more underpowered. That actually increases the possibility of kickback or mistakes. Powerful cabinet saws will cause much more serious kickback/etc. injuries  with misuse. Dull edges on cutting tools increases the possibilities of an injury, since more physical force is necessary to make a cut and a misalignment or slip can cause a serious injury, be the tool a hand chisel or table saw.

Tool/machine use should be fun, not scary.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with your premise that people are "scared" of their tools. There is quite a difference in having a healthy respect for the obvious danger in operating a tablesaw (the tool in question here) and being fearful of it. According to statistics there are over 30,000 tablesaw accidents in this country every year, i.e. 82+ per day; some being very serious. If there is a tablesaw with a safety feature that eliminates the possibility of a catastrophic injury, why in the world wouldn't one consider it when making the decision to buy one???

Every time I hit the switch on my SS PCS I'm happy that I bought it. And oh BTW, I'm still very careful to never touch the spinning blade with anything but wood. It's a red herring to think that SS owners are less safety conscious just because of the safety feature on the saw. For one thing, every time the safety cartridge is activated you've just burned through about $150 - $200+ for a new cartridge and new blade. Activated mine once since 2008 when I inadvertently slid my aluminum miter gauge extension into the blade; barely nicked it before the blade swung down and stopped.  

Ever wonder why ALL parachutes are packed with a reserve chute or why high wire acts work with a safety net?

Doug

P.S. Have you ever known anyone who's lost digits in a tablesaw accident? I have known more than one.
I dont know anyone in person who lost a finger from the use of the tablesaw but do know a guy who had a severe cut. The hurt lingered on for a very time because of nerves affected. The pain made him think it was worse than the loss of a digit.

I'm scared of the spinning blade even though my saw is a sawstop. I'm also scared of making any climb cuts with a router. Such scare hasn't stopped me from having fun in woodworking......and I still have all my digits after 30 years.

Simon
@ K.L McReynolds
Apologies, "Scared" might be an overstatement. a healthy respect of the tool and the love on my fingers (that's what she said...) i cook too and my knives are always stupid sharp so i know when you don't respect a tool you can get hurt. i also want to thank you for your reply as i believe you are trying to have me in the right frame of mind when using the saw and i think that is a very valid point. my fault for using "scared" in the wrong context.
i knew i would be like all the youtubers and not use a guard so i purposely bought the guard with the hose attachment so id be forced to use it + the jess'em + the saw it self. i think im off to a good and safe start.

@ Tapper

yikes, those numbers are real scary stuff... not to make light of the situation but im hoping we all stay safe.

my wife said to me :
"You're spending all this time and money building your shop, when your done are you going to have money left to actually buy wood?"
You are starting well, better than how I started.

Just a push down the slippery slope---a jointer and a planer will allow you to use pallet/etc. wood(free).
Uhoh
Big Grin
planer is on the list. woods too expensive right now to really "have a go" so no rush. eyes on the dewlat DW735x. As is a track saw and nice router. i need to sell my butt for this hobby...