What to pour oil poly into for wiping?
I'm using a glass jar to store thinned down oil poly, but need to pour it into smaller containers for dipping my wiping cloth into.

What do you guys recommend for that? Disposable is what I'm looking for; I have no desire to clean the containers after.
Semper fi,
Brad

I like those 4" roller trays for wipe on poly. I use a foam brush to apply and a folded rag to wipe off. I use the the roller ramp to dab my brush after dipping  as I apply. I have 3 trays that I have used for several months. I just let the poly dry in the tray. Reuse in a couple days. Throw the used rags in the wood burner. The foam brush I put into a ziplock bag and put in the freezer, take it out 15 minutes before using.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
In my shop is all manner of plastic food containers with lids. I'm talking about sour cream/cottage cheese, Cool Whip, chip dips, and other such things. I prefer the smaller ones like the 8 oz. and 16 oz. size. In use, I'll mix the varnish and apply. If there is enough left to save I put the lid on and store it in the fridge (shop has a fridge). I do as lift mechanic mentioned with brushes, wrap them in a sandwich bag...only I don't freeze, they go in the ridge as well. Then they need to be set out to warm up before use again. For wiping applicators, I use those blue paper towels you see almost everywhere labeled as "shop towels". They are lint free, and work well for the wiping application. I worry about using jars, I've broken too many and the mess is, well, a real mess. . But I still use them for shellac and a few other mixes, some stuff keeps better in glass.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-26-2022, 10:53 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I'm using a glass jar to store thinned down oil poly, but need to pour it into smaller containers for dipping my wiping cloth into.

What do you guys recommend for that?  Disposable is what I'm looking for; I have no desire to clean the containers after.

My wife regularly throws out plastic leftover containers after I nuke something in them.  Never a shortage of those around my place.  I also keep a  stack of plastic cups in the shop.  Cheap enough to not feel about about using one for 3 minutes and then tossing.
Thanks, folks. I was wondering if those plastic containers can stand up to mineral spirits.
Semper fi,
Brad

Some of them probably can't take the MS, at least for long, but when mixed with varnish they seem to hold up well enough for a short time. Some are also better than others I suspect.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've used all sorts of scavenged plastic containers and never had a problem with any of them not holding up to MS.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Small solo cups.

Ed