Communal Shop Space.
(02-28-2022, 10:23 AM)2link2 Wrote: ....Set up an LLC & have everyone be an equal share partner to avoid your personal liability.....

While that would work, now you have to file taxes every year and that is involved.  Plus there is the chance a minority shared holder suing.

Insurance is cheaper I think.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

When I began woodworking a few years ago, what surprised me was how much time is spent maintaining the tools! All the sharpening and precision setups, so as Kudzu suggested, who keeps things in best shape. —Peter
What scares me most about shared workspace is "the slob". 5 minutes in the shop and it  looks like a bomb hit the tool aisle at home depot.

Everyone has a different view on shop cleanliness. Many times those views clash and butthurt happens.

Ed
I know a few who have done this in the old downtown warehouse area in KC. I think 2 would be ideal and 3-4 max. Schedules would be important and maybe multiple workbenches? Glue ups and clamps could be a challenge if shared. 2 people working at once could be headache when you need to TS fence locked in for repeat cuts but for later on……and someone else wants the saw to use. Things of that nature.

Most importantly, similar minded people would make it or break it. Some people are lazy slobs in every area of life. Some are the extreme opposite. I would want to have an idea of what the others are like in that regard.

There really isn’t too much regular maintenance on most machines and I’d bring my own TS blade most likely. Maybe all cutters except BS blade and obviously planer/jointer. DS paper could be split but it would stink if you never use it and someone else is making non stop end grain cutting boards. You could keep track of use on a DS and then pay on percentage of usage when more paper is needed. My preference overall would be stationary machinery sharing only. Maybe a shared track saw to boot. I’m sure the details could be worked out but I know pushing 49 I would quickly loose patience with the arraignment if someone needed babysitting towards meeting the agreed upon “expectations”.