My latest project...low bookcase for our oldest daughter in DC
Here it is.  (It was a bit of a rush job as I need to be in Philly on Wed so I'll swing down to DC on Wed evening.  I didn't "do the math" on when I needed to be in Philly for work so that made me work faster than I normally do.  I just put the last coat of finish on it this AM).

It is solid cherry and all the supports are dovetailed into the horizontal boards.  I didn't want any mechanical fasteners, but a few of the DTs were a little loose so I drove a screw up through the underside into the center of the vertical support, to allow for expansion/contraction.  Unless you lie on the floor, you won't see the screws.

It measures approx 5 ft long by 38" (ish) high.  The finish is Watco's Danish Oil (Natural) followed by 3 coats of oil-based semi-gloss poly.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear
That really looks nice.
That is a lot of looooong dove tails.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(02-27-2022, 04:58 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: That really looks nice.
That is a lot of looooong dove tails.

They sure were!!

I built a little jig that held the board flat to the RH side of my tablesaw.  The 1st pass was with a straight bit.  IIRC correctly, I ran the straight bit 2X.  The last pass was with the DT bit.
Dumber than I appear
(02-27-2022, 05:30 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: They sure were!!

I built a little jig that held the board flat to the RH side of my tablesaw.  The 1st pass was with a straight bit.  IIRC correctly, I ran the straight bit 2X.  The last pass was with the DT bit.

That's a good way to do it (straight bit to plow the groove), and I agree that was a lot of DT slots to cut. Turned out really nice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Nice job. I know if I tried to do something that fast, I would screw it up for sure.
I like the combo of danish oil and poly on cherry. The oil really pops the grain and it tends to reduce splotchyness.
Tip o' the cap to you on those dovetails.  

It's one thing to cut a dove tail groove, and a little bit different to get it straight dead-on at 90.  It's a whole 'nuther ball game to get that many going right.

Congratulations!
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Very nice, indeed! I'm certain she will treasure it always. Great job on the dovetails. As previously said, you deserve kudos for tackling that many sliding dovetails.

Doug
Nice job, that will last her a lifetime.
(03-05-2022, 06:22 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Nice job, that will last her a lifetime.

What he said.
Here it is in her apartment, all loaded up

Attached Files Image(s)

Dumber than I appear