Will need a good clean up?
Eh....could be....

Goodell Pratt Co. drill..

Can almost tell where the paper label was....

Have the chuck soaking in oil, along with all the other moving parts.   Doubt I can save the label....rest needs a darn good cleaning..

Then the next question....where to hang this thing up at....

G-P No. 477.   After the box projects are done....I'll get started on this "little" drill.    Will research what colours it had...and start looking for a replacement label?

Stay tuned.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Starts with a tear down...at least as far as I am willing to go with it....too many TINY ball bearings to lose...

There WAS a tiny set screw (red arrow)that decided to go AWOL....and was replaced...it was the one that held the shaft to the body...

Wire wheel and buffer wheels the remove most of the crud ( patina?), and shine some of the parts up.   Did not have the correct shade of red paint for the drive gear, left it basically alone...except the rim and teeth.   Moving parts got a drop of oil.   Put the parts back together...

Starting to look a little bit better?

This cordless 1/2" drill will turn bits from 1/8" up to 1/2" shanked bits, with a 3 jawed chuck....

Although the drive wheel USED to have a paper label (98% gone) there was this logo on the crank handle...
Goodell Pratt Co.
Greenfield Mass. USA
TOOLSMITHS

No. 0477

Needed a place to hang this up, for awhile..so

Figured it can hang out here.  

Have a few 2 x 4s I need to bring into the shop, and build a stand for the drill press to sit on....

So in won't be IN the way of the cabinet door when it swings open.  Next trip to the store, I need to buy a can of Cardinal Red, and a can of Semi gloss black...and paint a few spots that need it...may not worry about that paper label...anyway. 

But, for right now...seems to be ready for work.    Turns easily, and quietly....with almost no gear noise.

Not too bad?
There was a couple 2x4s laying out on the back patio....decided to bring them down to the shop for a while....to let them dry out a bit, and get used to being IN the shop.

Then I rough cut them to sizes needed...to make a stand for that drill press to sit on....away from getting hit by the Tool Cabinet door. 

Maybe half-lap corner joints?  Maybe a slab of 3/4" plywood for a top/base that the Drill Press can sit on?.....

We'll see how this goes....
2x4s have been sitting in the shop for a few days..

Once these have been cut to sizes needed...I MIGHT rip the rounded edges off...leave a square edge to work with...

Location for the new stand?

Somewhere around here....

Need to take the circular saw outside...and cut a 3/4" plywood panel to rough size...for the drill press to sit on...

Stay tuned...
Needed to cut that plywood panel....plywood is sitting outside, on the back patio..where the roofers left it leaning against the side of the house...rather than run a cord out there...we have ways..

$1 Cordless saw...6-1/2" blade...

Framing square and a black sharpie to mark out a cut line....about 10" in from the edge.  

Will screw this to the top of the stand's frame work...then bolt the drill press to the plywood...

Might be a few days....stay tuned...
2 hours in the shop, right leg has now gone on "Strike!"

Film at 2300 hrs..after I get the photos processed...all milling has been done..maybe tomorrow, some assembly?

Stay tuned..
Tablesaw was kind of busy, today...

Ya think?   it was a chippy sort of day...

Parts were cut for length...4 legs, 2 upper front braces, 2 upper side braces...which about used up the 2x4s...then the edges were ripped square..

Made things easier to do the half laps...

Make a lot of cuts..with the rip fence as a stop block..

Of course, there was a mess to pop off...

Then a paring chisel to clean it up..

Then a few test fits..

I also had some 3/4" to rip to the same width as the rest of the parts..

These will be the lower braces....without any half lap going on..

So, all parts have been milled....might try for some assembly, tomorrow?

Stay tuned...
Ok, was staying up late, anyway..so..a little assembly work was done...step #1

Always got to start somewhere....needed a 3rd hand, though...

Makes things a bit easier...bottom braces are 3/4" plywood...then add the other leg..

And set this aside, and repeat for the other End assembly...

Clamps to pull things into alignment, and hold them still, long enough to add the screws...now comes the "fun part" and most of the cussing..

Add the side stretchers to one side, flip over add the other side's stretchers, then add the other leg assembly, attach one side, flip back over and do this side...

dados for the plywood stretchers was sometimes a little too tight...hammer and clamps...and a pass or three with a plane along the edges of the plywood..
Was finally able to stand this up on it's own 4 feet...then glue and screws to add a top of 3/4" plywood..

BTW:  That plywood came from Lowes a few years back...when I built my Queen sized bed....it went under the mattress .  Have yet to find any voids in it..

Drill Press USED to sit here..

Un-bolted it, hauled it over to the "New Home" and bolted it back down...

Then plugged in to see how well it will sit..once I flip the switch..

Not even a wiggle....yet I now have plenty of elbow room to use it.  

That bed had been tossed out, last year...and the roofers used a couple pieces from that sheet of plywood.  

Big question now...is whether to paint the new stand.....and whether to add a couple drawers under the top...maybe slide the drawers out from the longer sides?

We'll see how it goes...
Thanks for looking in...
That's prime real estate under that drill press.  I could see some shelves there holding some of you plane boxes or some drawers for various things.  

Looks great from where I'm sitting
Will need to buy some more lumber, before any shelves, or drawers get built....we'll see how it goes along....