Box joints in center of board? Maybe with the Incra jig?
Question 
I love the delicate look of this C-table (sofa table, recliner table) and want to build one for my home.  I'm sure I could cut the "box joint" cuts close enough by eye on my table saw or router table, but I'd rather use a jig of some sort, especially if I start building multiples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TbrlQyThQ

All the box joint jigs I've seen, though, require cutting from one end to the other, because of the tab that's glued to the sled; can't start the cut in the middle of the board with it there.  I only want the slots cut in the middle of my board.

So, I'm thinking that maybe my Incra jig on my router table might be the way to go, as there is no tab used the locate the cut; the jig aligns the cut.

It'll be a while before I can actually set up and give this a try, but asking the question days (or sometimes weeks) in advance allows it to stew in my mind and to grasp any suggestions offered up by those that are smarter than me.  Do any of y'all have any thoughts or suggestions?
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-02-2022, 09:58 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I love the delicate look of this C-table (sofa table, recliner table) and want to build one for my home.  I'm sure I could cut the "box joint" cuts close enough by eye on my table saw or router table, but I'd rather use a jig of some sort, especially if I start building multiples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TbrlQyThQ

All the box joint jigs I've seen, though, require cutting from one end to the other, because of the tab that's glued to the sled; can't start the cut in the middle of the board with it there.  I only want the slots cut in the middle of my board.

So, I'm thinking that maybe my Incra jig on my router table might be the way to go, as there is no tab used the locate the cut; the jig aligns the cut.

It'll be a while before I can actually set up and give this a try, but asking the question days (or sometimes weeks) in advance allows it to stew in my mind and to grasp any suggestions offered up by those that are smarter than me.  Do any of y'all have any thoughts or suggestions?

You mention cutting them by hand. Just cut the "starting" one by hand, after that they drop down over the pin in a standard jig.

Or if you aren't comfortable starting the one by hand, make a sled jig with a stop block and use a spacer the same as the pin in your finger joint jig to make the starter slot.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-02-2022, 10:11 AM)Rob Young Wrote: You mention cutting them by hand. Just cut the "starting" one by hand, after that they drop down over the pin in a standard jig.

Or if you aren't comfortable starting the one by hand, make a sled jig with a stop block and use a spacer the same as the pin in your finger joint jig to make the starter slot.

This. 

John
(03-02-2022, 10:11 AM)Rob Young Wrote: You mention cutting them by hand. Just cut the "starting" one by hand, after that they drop down over the pin in a standard jig.

Oh!  Thanks.  That makes sense.  

And of course, is super easy.
Semper fi,
Brad

Can't imagine that holding up. That wouldn't last a week in my house.
Cannot offer any design or construction ideas. 

Due to a time constraint, I did not see the entire video, but "bookmarked" it.  The design and construction methods I viewed are very interesting and eye catching.  Would be an interesting build.
(03-02-2022, 01:45 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Can't imagine that holding up.  That wouldn't last a week in my house.

Yeah, delicate furniture isn't for every household.  Might not be for mine, but I'm still going to give it a try.
Semper fi,
Brad

Actually, with a typical finger joint jig, you only need the FIRST slot cut, then you can put that over a pin and work across.
No reason it has to start from an end nor go all the way.

Mark out your first position, cut the slot without a pin, then set it onto a jig with a pin to space half a dozen cuts for that table. You’d do it twice for the design shown.

The real challenge here to my eye is that the slots that hold the bent wood uprights are ANGLED not perpendicular to the top, and the angles really should all be different.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Thanks, handi. 

There are two versions.  The first has straight cuts then the second has the angled cuts.  I would do it with straight cuts, which would induce a double curve in the slats, making them stiffer (according to Marc).
Semper fi,
Brad