Tablesaw Blade
Hi guys,

I've been using Forest combinations blades forever with good results. I will be making projects that will require me to purchase a rip and crosscut blade. I will be ripping a lot of maple and cherry and I would like to try and eliminate burning. 25 years ago I had a rip blade and it worked great. Also the combo blade I have is a ATB which does not make flat grooves. 

With limited availability out there these days what can you recommend for a rip and cross cut blade.

Thanks

Mike
(03-02-2022, 01:58 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi guys,

I've been using Forest combinations blades forever with good results. I will be making projects that will require me to purchase a rip and crosscut blade. I will be ripping a lot of maple and cherry and I would like to try and eliminate burning. 25 years ago I had a rip blade and it worked great. Also the combo blade I have is a ATB which does not make flat grooves. 

With limited availability out there these days what can you recommend for a rip and cross cut blade.

Thanks

Mike

Forest makes a specific ripping blade don't they?  I'd expect that to be the same quality blade as the other.  That said, I've had good results with Freud ripping blades (HomeDepot)
(03-02-2022, 06:06 PM)KC Wrote: Forest makes a specific ripping blade don't they?  I'd expect that to be the same quality blade as the other.  That said, I've had good results with Freud ripping blades (HomeDepot)

The one I would like is back ordered. Forest says 5 months. I saw a Ridge blade at Holbren for about the same price and its in stock. Its a 10" 24 tooth. The reviews seem very good for ripping and creating a flat bottom. I will take a look at HD tomorrow to see what they have in stock. I don't want a thin kerf. I have 8/4 stock I need to rip and it may deflect.
(03-02-2022, 07:02 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: The one I would like is back ordered. Forest says 5 months. I saw a Ridge blade at Holbren for about the same price and its in stock. Its a 10" 24 tooth. The reviews seem very good for ripping and creating a flat bottom. I will take a look at HD tomorrow to see what they have in stock. I don't want a thin kerf. I have 8/4 stock I need to rip and it may deflect.

Ridge Carbide blades are every bit as good as Forrest.  In fact , I get better results on my two saws with the Ridge.  Their 40t combo blade has a raker tooth that produces flat bottom cuts.  Not sure about their rip blade’s geometry.  If it’s in stock - that makes it infinitely better than a Forrest.  

The Depot blades are made by Freud - Diablo branded and are almost exclusively thin kerf models.  They not quite as good as their Freud industrial offerings but are not junk either.  You’d have to do a deep analysis on whether the Diablo blades represent a good value and it would be very dependent on the material you cut and how much of it.  Out of the package they will give fine cuts.
Some will label me a heretic but I'll mention this anyway.  A number of years back I had to saw some reclaimed lumber and didn't want to risk my good blades if there was anything embedded in the wood (rocks, dirt, etc.).  I picked up a 40 tooth blade at HF just for that job.  It worked surprisingly well to the point I left it on the saw and I've used it ever since.  It was relatively inexpensive and has worked very well in any wood (hard or soft) and any thickness I've run through the saw. It's not as pretty as my other blades, but function is more important to me than beauty.
I've even done glueups right out of the saw with no issues.
My 2 cents.
Funny, I'm ripping a lot of cherry right now prepping stock for a bookcase on cabinet project, and was in exactly the same position.  Generally I use both Forrest and Ridge Carbide combination blades, but I needed a new rip blade fairly quickly and both were out of stock.  Bought this one (strictly rip,however) off of amazon which was delivered the next day! (because it was not in stock at HD or Lowes)  I can report it does a fine job after two weeks of working with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T78V?psc...ct_details
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-02-2022, 07:02 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: The one I would like is back ordered. Forest says 5 months. I saw a Ridge blade at Holbren for about the same price and its in stock. Its a 10" 24 tooth. The reviews seem very good for ripping and creating a flat bottom. I will take a look at HD tomorrow to see what they have in stock. I don't want a thin kerf. I have 8/4 stock I need to rip and it may deflect.

Try https://www.grizzly.com/ . In Springfield, Mo they have many of the Forrest blades in stock. At least they did about a month ago.

Jim
Jim
(03-03-2022, 08:38 AM)Admiral Wrote: Funny, I'm ripping a lot of cherry right now prepping stock for a bookcase on cabinet project, and was in exactly the same position.  Generally I use both Forrest and Ridge Carbide combination blades, but I needed a new rip blade fairly quickly and both were out of stock.  Bought this one (strictly rip,however) off of amazon which was delivered the next day! (because it was not in stock at HD or Lowes)  I can report it does a fine job after two weeks of working with it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T78V?psc...ct_details

I needed to get something so I'm going to give this a try. With my prime I will have it tomorrow. Everyone else it would have been a week. I need to get this project done. I made all my drawers today and if it comes early I can start making the grooves.
I have a stable of old combo blades and one rip and two melamine or plywood crosscut blades I rotate through. All different brands. All of them give me glue line ready and smooth cuts. They have been used and cleaned and resharpened numerous times over the years to where all the markings have wore off. I know I have Frued, Leitz, Tenryu, and whatever my purchased new in 1990 Unisaw came with. With the combo blades I just reach for the next sharp one. I notice no real differences.
Oddly enough the only blade I didn't like was a Forrest woodworker 2 I bought new many years ago. I fell to the hype and bought it thinking my good cuts would somehow be better with it. I do not know if it was sharpened wrong or what but it required more effort to push wood through and tended to burn way to easily. I remember that the cuts come out looking burnished. I got that out of my system and sold it not long after I purchased it.
This is my experience, I realize others have had a different one with the same blades.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Stehle makes exceptional blade at good prices.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.