Finish nailers
I had a Ridgid 16ga finish nailer that quit shooting nails one day a few years back.  Replaced that with a combo pack HDX 18ga, 16ga, pin nailer and stapler (for cheap!).  Used the hell out of the two nailers.  No need for the stapler, and the pin nailer was a throw away.  Just before we moved I was going to throw the Ridgid out, but all of a sudden it worked.  So I moved it up here.  Went to use the HDX 16ga a couple days ago and it blew a gasket or something... giant air leak at the nailer end.  Got the Ridgid out and it was dead again.  Sigh.  It fires air, but no nails.  

So off to Menards I go and pick up a PerformMax cheapie.  Loaded it up and it would only fire one nail, then I had to push the nails forward manually for it shoot another one.  Did that for most of one 'batch' of nails, then it seemed to clear up.  Part of me thinks I might oughta take it back because of that... but part of me thinks for $70 I might just hang on to it and take my chances. 

What say the group?
I say buy better nailers and don't be so cheap. 
Big Grin

(Although admittedly, I have had really good experiences with Ridgid tools over the years.)
(03-03-2022, 01:24 PM)Cian Wrote: I say buy better nailers and don't be so cheap. 
Big Grin

(Although admittedly, I have had really good experiences with Ridgid tools over the years.)

I was perfectly happy with the Ridgid... until it quit working.  I should have sent it in when I was in the 3 yr warranty (for air tools).
Really like my narrow crown stapler. Air powered. The staples have good pull up and seem to produce a pretty consistent depth. I'd try one again before skipping that tool. I recently picked up the Milwaukee 15ga cordless nailer. I really like the cordless aspect to it - way more convenient for me (carpentry) than always firing up my noisy compressor and dragging a hose. Its a heavy tool tho. Sometimes I only need 4 nails in something. I could hammer them in, but then I'd need a nail set and my reading glasses, and if I'm on a ladder or scaffold....., the gun is just easier. That tool has sunk nails in everything I've tried it on. I'd get more of those in a heart beat. Considering the 20ga stapler.
Menards will exchange any Masterforce tool. You could always exchange it and not have to spend any more money. FWIW Bostich has always done good by me.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
I have PC from a framing nailer all the way through the 23 GA and am very satisfied with them all. Had the finish nailer worked on once, but it's over 20 years old. (I think) 

Jim
Jim
(03-03-2022, 12:28 PM)KC Wrote: I had a Ridgid 16ga finish nailer that quit shooting nails one day a few years back. 
 Got the Ridgid out and it was dead again.  Sigh.  It fires air, but no nails.  

What say the group?

i say pop the top, pull the driver unit/piston unit out, and inspect the end of the driver. it could be worn, chipped, or broke. could be the oring on it,too.

its a good idea to clean the magazine  and device that pushes the nails forward now and then,too.
For me cordless/hoseless is the way to go. I purchased Milwaukee's 15ga and 18ga finish guns and could not be happier.
Different nail guns eat some nails better than others. I've heard even some of the high end guns are finnicky about what nails they like. 

As others have said, cordless is the way to go- although don't go cheap on these. I had a ryobi cordless but had to take it back because it wouldn't sink a nail consistently. That was about 5+ years ago and the nailers have only gotten better since then.
If it were me, I'd start checking the used market for cordless.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood