Contracts
Here is one I use.

Some of my clients have told me it is a bit "over the top" - my response: then don't sign it and contract with me for the project. Personally, having dealt with a LOT of contracts in my working days - IMO this is a pretty basic contract.

.pdf   dmwoodworks agreement example.pdf (Size: 219 KB / Downloads: 527)
(03-06-2022, 12:40 AM)Don_M Wrote: Here is one I use.

Some of my clients have told me it is a bit "over the top" - my response: then don't sign it and contract with me for the project. Personally, having dealt with a LOT of contracts in my working days - IMO this is a pretty basic contract.

7 pages? A little verbose for me but a lot of good points in it.

Jim
Jim
Lawyer here too (although I deal principally with international telecom contracts). Hank gives excellent advice on this, couldn't have said it any better.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-04-2022, 01:52 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I've never had a problem. 

And I know why. I've seen many examples of your work and completely understand why customers don't complain...

Wink
(03-04-2022, 09:10 AM)Kudzu Wrote: No one listens but if you need a contract you need a lawyer to check it or even write it.

I am not a lawyer but have a life long friend that is.  Law varies from state to state and one wrong word, LITERATELY one word can invalidate the whole contract.

Nothing wrong with working from someone else's contract but do not try to create you own without at least a review by someone that knows the law. You will never know you made a mistake till you actually need that contract to hold up.

Interesting.  Especially considering that most courts will consider a verbal agreement a legal contract.  And I would assume most people can't recall the exact words used during the conversation.  I wonder why they treat a written contract so much more strictly?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-10-2022, 10:18 AM)AHill Wrote: Interesting.  Especially considering that most courts will consider a verbal agreement a legal contract.  And I would assume most people can't recall the exact words used during the conversation.  I wonder why they treat a written contract so much more strictly?

The law presumes that if people take the time and trouble to write their agreement down, they put their entire agreement in writing, and the courts treat written contracts that way. There is a principle in contract law called the Parole Evidence Rule. It presumes that the parties intended for their entire agreement to be stated within the four corners of the written contract - I.E., what is written on the page(s) - and evidence outside the written contract itself, like verbal testimony, side agreements and such, cannot alter, add to or subtract from the terms written on the page. There are some exceptions to this rule, but they are very narrow. The takeaway is that when you write a contract, make sure it is (1) complete, and (2) stated in simple, easily underrstood language.
Once again, parties can modify a written contract, but the modification needs to be written and acknowledged by both parties on the original contract.
different states have different laws about how much money you can collect up front as a deposit.....which proly also depends on whether you're supposed to have a license or not.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark