DeWalt 18v to 20v Adapter?
I have several 18v DeWalt tools. My second battery just stopped charging, now down to 3 batteries. Anyone have experience with the adapter? Does the 20v batteries last as long as the lithiumion 18v XRP batteries? I have changed brands a couple of times because of the batteries. I started with the Mikita 12v then switched to 18v Bosch and now 18v Dewalt. It gets expensive to replace them every few years.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
My 20v have lasted for years...oldest ones are 10 and still work fine. A friend uses the DeWalt adapters with no problems.

Now that those clever chineese have 3d printers, l can run my old Milwaukee v18 tools with 20v DeWalts.

Ed
(03-04-2022, 04:28 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I have several 18v DeWalt tools. My second battery just stopped charging, now down to 3 batteries. Anyone have experience with the adapter? Does the 20v batteries last as long as the lithiumion 18v XRP batteries? I have changed brands a couple of times because of the batteries. I started with the Mikita 12v then switched to 18v Bosch and now 18v Dewalt. It gets expensive to replace them every few years.

I have the 18 volt to 20 volt adaptor and the batteries do last longer.
(03-04-2022, 04:28 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I have several 18v DeWalt tools. .... Anyone have experience with the adapter? 

I have two genuine Dewalt adapters that let me use 20v LiIon batteries in my old 18 volt tools.  They work great and the 20v batts last longer than the old 18v NiCads.

One note:

The genuine Dewalt adapters have some electronics in them that protects the 20v Li-Ion batts.  This circuit board draws a small amount of current. So if you leave the adapter and battery in the tool on the shelf for a month, you'll probably find the battery needs charging.

To prevent this, I've gotten in the habit of removing the battery at the end of the day.

Mike
Thank for the information. Guess I will get the adapter, charger and a couple of batteries. Good to know about leaving the batteries in the adapter. I think the 20v DeWalt will be around for a while.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor