Trash to treasure
Video 

A while back I made a desk for my son and we had a cheap hand me down chair for it.  I was driving around town and see this chair at the curb on garbage day.  Of course I had to stop and check it out.

Its sturdy and solid wood but needed some loving.  After sanding it I veneered a piece on the back rest to cover the routed grooves that I felt dated the chair.

I even did the upholstery.  All in I have about $40 invested in it.  I think it turned out pretty good.

That is a nice save and the price was great!
That's a good score. It turned out great and it looks like you put a nice thick pad on the seat for those long study sessions.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
You sure can't complain about the price and you did a good job bringing that back to life, well done.  One question though, did you fill the routed grooves before applying the veneer or used 2 ply veneer?  I did restoration and repair work for many years, and I've seen a couple of seats that was done to in order to cover up grooves for cane spline.  Over time ghost depressions appeared because of the lack of support (my guess) behind the veneer in those areas.
Overall, well done.
I did fill in the routed design with wood filler for that exact reason. I used the PVA glue with iron application technique to attach the veneer.
Nice job. I have taken a lot of things from the curb. I find it amazing antiques people will throw out just because the finish is ragged.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Very nice job - congrats! Looks like a legacy combo to me. 
Yes

Doug
(03-07-2022, 03:10 PM)John Mihich Wrote: I find it amazing antiques people will throw out just because the finish is ragged.
John
I know this may be splitting hairs but it's something I've run into many times in the past: what is an antique?
Most definitions I've read say basically an antique is over 100 years old or has some significance/value due to ownership.  I did restoration/repairs for over 30+ years and it was amazing the number of people that had an 'antique' made by their father, grandfather or someone else that did not fit the definition.  Most times I'd just nod my head and let them think what they had as it didn't make a difference either way.
I once repaired a spinning wheel that had belonged to someone in George Washingtons family back in the 1700's according to family lore (their lore, not mine).  I worked on a harvest table that the Historical Society dated pre–Revolutionary War and documented it.  They (using the definitions) are antiques due to age while the 2d one is confirmed.
When someone came in with something their relative made back in the 50's, IMO that's not an antique. not to say it's not an important or good piece of furniture to them.  Those were IMO old pieces of furniture, not antiques.
When repairing or restoring an antique it's important IMO to use as much the same materials and methods as the original craftsman did.  I've even bought an old piece of furniture to salvage materials to repair something else.  Hand carving/cutting of parts, same methods of finishing etc. are important in repairing an antique. If it's a valuable antique, you don't want to change anything relating to it's design, construction or finishing in the course of repairing/restoring it.

I'm done splitting hairs.  In no way should anything written be taken as negative on 'old' furniture, rather just how it's described.  I like old furniture, it's usually made better with better materials than anything that can be purchased today.  I have a number of old pieces in my house including a Pre-Civil war dresser that was handed down through the family.  It's great to think of who and how it was made, unlike some of this stuff you find now days, not near as substantial or solid IMO.
My 2 cents.