Making a dovetail saw: shaping and filing
Thanks Pedder. I will try these.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks Pedder. I will try these methods.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,

Did you rule out the progressive teeth, or was it never something you'd consider when you designed your saw? (For the record, I have never used one with progressive teeth.)

Simon
(03-10-2022, 12:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Derek,

Did you rule out the progressive teeth, or was it never something you'd consider when you designed your saw? (For the record, I have never used one with progressive teeth.)

Simon

Hi Simon

A little while back I posted some pics of travelling boxes for dovetail/joinery tools. One was for a pair of Veritas dovetail saws, which were the 14- and 20 ppi saws ...

[Image: 6.jpg]

The 20 ppi saw remains original with 14 degrees of rake. This is a good saw for thinner boards - I tend to use a fat 1/4" for drawer sides in the softer side of hardwood, such as Tasmanian Oak. Here, it can saw rip as well as crosscut.

However, I refiled the 14 ppi to have 10 degrees of rake across the plate except for about 1 1/2" at the toe, where I filed 15 degrees rake. This creates a slightly more aggressive cutting saw, but will make it easier to start. This saw is likely to be used by others, especially someone learning to saw either dovetails or tenons. For myself, I prefer a slightly coarser performer, and i have had enough experience to lighten the saw at the toe, when starting a cut ... which the inexperienced have difficulty in doing - hence the low rake angle for them.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Great saw and great documentation.

(03-10-2022, 12:01 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Thanks Pedder. I will try these methods.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Hi Derek, when Klaus and I did this together, we made a long write up of thr process.
https://two-lawyers-toolworks.blogspot.c...-sich.html

Though there are little changes here and there, I make saws pretty much like that.

Cheers
Pedder