Post for sun sail ?
Has anyone installed the triangle or square sun sail type shades in their yard?

I’d like to use a chain link fence corner post to pound 3-4 feet into my Texas soil (sand for 1-2 feet then clay) to support a couple corners of some 24’ sun sails.

My other option will be sched 40 2 3/8 drill stem pounded at least 4 feet maybe further with 7-8 feet above ground.

Anyone put these up, or have experience with them either succeeding or failing?

Thanks 
Duke
Does the manufacturer make any recommendations for how to anchor the post and what size is needed? I have never put one up, but I assume the sail can put a lot of strain on an anchor post. I'm guessing that the corner post would offer enough strength, but I would sure set it in concrete. Without that, I think the constant shaking from the wind will work it loose. Just my 2 cents.
You definitely want to use something very sturdy to support those sails.  The wind will easily make them flap and will definitely bend or easily break that Sch 40.  You'll notice when these are installed in public spaces that those posts are extremely beefy.

I installed a triangular one between my house and garage, but the 3 corners were anchored to those structures with beefy screw eyes.  It looks best when the sail is taut and not floppy so there is going to be significant tension.

This Old House also has an install video:

https://youtu.be/pCjOLFlKhvs
(03-07-2022, 07:50 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: You definitely want to use something very sturdy to support those sails.  The wind will easily make them flap and will definitely bend or easily break that Sch 40.  You'll notice when these are installed in public spaces that those posts are extremely beefy.

I installed a triangular one between my house and garage, but the 3 corners were anchored to those structures with beefy screw eyes.  It looks best when the sail is taut and not floppy so there is going to be significant tension.

This Old House also has an install video:

https://youtu.be/pCjOLFlKhvs

Beefy support is definitely good.

I used some 13ft posts designed for chain link fence in 4 different spots in my yard, and anchored to the brick on the house in 4 others. 

With the posts driven 4-5ft into the ground they did fine holding in 3 of 4 locations. Where the post was the only support I didn’t have any problems. 

The only one recently bent on a windy night was the one that was anchored to the house on the other 2 corners. 

I wanted a little more height, as 8 ft had the sails feeling to close to your head as you walked under them. 
So currently I have replaced the posts with 2 3/8 drill stem pounded into the ground 3-4 ft
The drill stem was cut to 15ft long so 11-12 ft above ground leaves plenty of head room. 

One of the benefits of the drill stem height, is that I have to lean an extension ladder against the post to reach the top, that bends the post slightly toward the sail such that when I tension the sail, the ladder being removed adds a little more tension.
Mine was done with 4X4’s 3 feet in the ground with quikrete.
The shade sail only came down for hurricanes; 40-50 mph winds were no problem.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.