Sharpening question
It looks to me like the dust just falls down, I suppose there could be some very fine particles that get flung about that I can't see, but to my eyes it looks to collect under the wheel. It's certainly nothing like a 1750 RPM grinder would throw. Please note I said I'm a wanna-be turner, so my answers may not fit a true turner's perspective.....but it's fairly slow to sharpen a turning tool even with the coarse CBN wheel. But it's not an issue to me. With a 1750 RPM dry grinder using the right jig, you make one or 2 passes and go back. With the Tormek that's likely to be 8-9 passes and they take longer to do. At least that's my limited experience. As for the shaping or re-profiling part, even I don't want to do that on a Tormek. No idea about the "blackstone", but it does take you back to using the water tray and I'm not sure it would sharpen any faster than the CBN.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-07-2022, 04:34 PM)AztecKing Wrote: I’m considering buying either a Tormek or the Sorby ProEdge systems to sharpen everything from chisels and plane blades to wood turning tools. If I choose Tormek is the T8 worth the extra money over the 4?  Part of this decision is spurred on because I’ve used a slow speed grinder for years and am considering getting CBN wheels for it and the cost of doing that is not cheap. If I put these new wheels on I still am pretty limited on what I can sharpen with it. The way I see it I can sharpen almost anything with the Tormek or the Sorby. 

Jeff

I have the smaller Tormek but have had the 2000 and now have the Jet.The Jet is faster by about 20%..{the wheel turns 120rpm instead of 90} Above 120, the wheel will sling water everywhere...However, these seldom get used..I prefer the WorkSharp 2000 and Diamond laps from Amazon..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Regarding the Tormek rpm, I saw a trick somewhere showing how to increase the wheel speed by fitting a small cylinder over the drive axle.  The added cylinder increases the rim speed of the drive axle.
Steve
(03-08-2022, 03:37 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
I have the smaller Tormek but have had the 2000 and now have the Jet.The Jet is faster by about 20%..{the wheel turns 120rpm instead of 90} Above 120, the wheel will sling water everywhere...However, these seldom get used..I prefer the WorkSharp 2000 and Diamond laps from Amazon..

I have a WS 2000 and 3000. I also have the diamond disc. Would it be better to use the slower speed?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
(03-08-2022, 05:12 PM)AztecKing Wrote: I have a WS 2000 and 3000. I also have the diamond disc. Would it be better to use the slower speed?

Jeff

Yes...the slower speed is better because the tool is easier to control, and I highly recommend using a foot switch..This will enable you to hold the tool with both hands to steady it ..Place the tool on the diamond lap or other abrasive while it is NOT turning,,,then step on the foot switch to start the rotation..DO NOT remove the tool from the diamond lap UNTIL you have stopped the motor.  The foot switch IMO should be used more often, because it will free up both hands and allow them to hold the tool steady. Applying the tool to a moving bench grinder wheel or other types of power sharpeners etc is where more mistakes occur. It is good for belt grinders, buffers, hand-held sanders, wood lathes, drill presses and router operations as well, for the same reason. Two hands are better than one.

$13.95 at Harbor Freight

[Image: image-12773.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-08-2022, 09:51 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
Yes...the slower speed is better because the tool is easier to control, and I highly recommend using a foot switch..This will enable you to hold the tool with both hands to steady it ..Place the tool on the diamond lap or other abrasive while it is NOT turning,,,then step on the foot switch to start the rotation..DO NOT remove the tool from the diamond lap UNTIL you have stopped the motor.  The foot switch IMO should be used more often, because it will free up both hands and allow them to hold the tool steady. Applying the tool to a moving bench grinder wheel or other types of power sharpeners etc is where more mistakes occur. It is good for belt grinders, buffers, hand-held sanders, wood lathes, drill presses and router operations as well, for the same reason. Two hands are better than one.

$13.95 at Harbor Freight

[Image: image-12773.jpg]

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.
It's time for the patriots to stand up!