water conditioner
Does anyone here have experience with non-salt water conditioners?
We get a fair bit of scale if we're not running our softener.
Someone in our neighborhood nextdoor group recommended EasyWater, which I'd never heard of before.
i was curious if others have experience with these types of systems and when they work better than salt-based softeners.

(our softener is a Clack-based controller kitted by Slusser; generally works fine, although resin replacement was no fun)

Matt
I'll be following this since I need to replace our softener. I've not heard of those type of conditioners.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I'll ask the same questions I always ask in these threads.

1. Have you tested you water?
2. What exactly is wrong with you water?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

When we built our house in 2011, we had an EasyWater system installed rather than a WS.  For two years it didn't seem to be doing a thing, and tested confirmed this.  Ended up putting in a Fleck water softener system, which I installed myself.  We did, however, use potassium chloride rather than salt because we have lots of plants.  No complaints.
Bob
(03-09-2022, 12:22 AM)BobW Wrote: When we built our house in 2011, we had an EasyWater system installed rather than a WS.  For two years it didn't seem to be doing a thing, and tested confirmed this.  Ended up putting in a Fleck water softener system, which I installed myself.  We did, however, use potassium chloride rather than salt because we have lots of plants.  No complaints.

I'm a big fan of Fleck equipment. Reliable, easy to service. All systems need valve rebuilds periodically. I and several other Woodnetters have purchased though Ohio Pure Water. The best prices I've seen on Fleck equipment and always available for technical help. But, they won't sell you anything without seeing results of a water test and a flow rate test and knowing the # of occupants in the house. All these things are necessary to properly size the equipment and to sell the equipment that actually address each individual's water problems. Simply throwing a water softener at a problem without really understanding the problem is just money out the window.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-08-2022, 07:43 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'll ask the same questions I always ask in these threads.

1. Have you tested you water?
2. What exactly is wrong with you water?

Primarily the water hardness -- our supply varies from 6-18grain/gallon, depending on which supply our water company is sourcing from.

Other characteristics aren't too extreme.
My last test was with a Labtech kit in 2019 when I was replacing my resin bed:
Chlorine:  0.5ppm
Alkalinity:  120ppm
pH: 7.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
copper: 0
iron: 0.1

Matt
My experience with non salt systems is they don't work nearly as well as salt. A lot of it is fuzzy science. But, read up on them. The plumbers I deal with won't use anything but salt systems because of the proven track record. Resin replacement is never fun but it also doesn't have to be doe very often. Easy water reviews look good though.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

What does the fact that easywater also sells a traditional salt based conditioner tell you ?
Confused
(03-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: What does the fact that easywater also sells a traditional salt based conditioner tell you ?
Confused

Baskin Robins has 31 flavors?

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS