How would you match this color?
(03-15-2022, 11:44 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Thanks a lot, folks!  I'll have SWMBO read this so she knows what to expect!

I saw mentioned above "Start with black". Don't do that. You have to start with a light color or white so you can see the color. You can't see the color starting with black. Always move from light to dark. Just use black to darken once you get the color close and even then you have to be careful. It's almost impossible to lighten a dark color but easy to darken a light color and you'll use far less media.. Blacks usually have a degree of green, blue or yellow in them and you don't really see it until it's mixed with another color... might turn a bluish paint to green if the black has yellow in it so it will have to be tinted back towards blue by adding red (use a color wheel) Once you start going back and forth on the color wheel... everything starts looking muddy or brownish..it moves you to the center of the wheel which isn't where you want to be.

So add black in tiny amounts.

Even at that, it's real hard to copy a color unless you know the formula ahead of time. It can even be hard then too.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-15-2022, 08:29 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I saw mentioned above "Start with black". Don't do that. You have to start with a light color or white so you can see the color. You can't see the color starting with black. Always move from light to dark. Just use black to darken once you get the color close and even then you have to be careful. It's almost impossible to lighten a dark color but easy to darken a light color and you'll use far less media.. Blacks usually have a degree of green, blue or yellow in them and you don't really see it until it's mixed with another color... might turn a bluish paint to green if the black has yellow in it so it will have to be tinted back towards blue by adding red (use a color wheel) Once you start going back and forth on the color wheel... everything starts looking muddy or brownish..it moves you to the center of the wheel which isn't where you want to be.

So add black in tiny amounts.

Even at that, it's real hard to copy a color unless you know the formula ahead of time. It can even be hard then too.

What he said.  You start by matching the lightest color you see with your background color, then build the darker colors on top.  

John
Good news!  I explained what you guys told me here and SWMBO has ordained that the style and shape are more important than a perfect color match.  Close enough is good enough.

Thanks for saving lots of distress!
Semper fi,
Brad