Interesting domino substitute
I thought this is a really cool idea if it works. I have a domino, otherwise I would buy one and give a review.
I have no idea if this works, if the website is a scam, etc.. so please don't take this as advice to buy.
I just thought it was an interesting idea, maybe inspiration for someone that wants to DIY.

https://www.knowiyt.com/product/index/pID/24
(03-10-2022, 01:47 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I thought this is a really cool idea if it works. I have a domino, otherwise I would buy one and give a review.
I have no idea if this works, if the website is a scam, etc.. so please don't take this as advice to buy.
I just thought it was an interesting idea, maybe inspiration for someone that wants to DIY.

I saw the same thing from another "company" a couple of months ago.  I would buy one just to try it if I thought any of the sites hawking it were legit. 

John
Seen it in other forums before. It's not a domino sub because it can't do many of the things that a domino can, such as angles, repetitive cross milling, variable width, dust free operation, etc.

Apples to apples, the total cost of the jig plus a router is only some saving compared to the domino machine at the expense of features and support of accessories.

Only people who don't do floating tenons a lot may find it a cheaper option.

As for that (foreign) online seller, I couldn't find its company name, or any contact info. such as address and phone #. Even its email address isn't published.

This offer reminds me of someone complaining about a woodpecker drilling guide (I should say WP look-alike drilling guide) he bought online...he got one made of plastic instead of aluminum. The product photo he saw was photoshopped from WP's site. Expensive plastic!

He should've known better; he paid $40(?) instead of $250(?) or something like that.

Simon
(03-10-2022, 01:47 PM)paul2004 Wrote: I thought this is a really cool idea if it works. I have a domino, otherwise I would buy one and give a review.

What is odd there is no contact info that I can see or a location of the company.    They say to contact for questions but do you see a name or contact info anywhere on the link ?   Raises a red flag to me.   Roly
I saw a series of ads, usually on facebook, of the same thing, some of the  prices that were extremely low,  like around $30.  I think it is a scam.
(03-10-2022, 03:33 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Seen it in other forums before. It's not a domino sub because it can't do many of the things that a domino can, such as angles, repetitive cross milling, variable width, dust free operation, etc.

Apples to apples, the total cost of the jig plus a router is only some saving compared to the domino machine at the expense of features and support of accessories.

Only people who don't do floating tenons a lot may find it a cheaper option.

As for that (foreign) online seller, I couldn't find its company name, or any contact info. such as address and phone #. Even its email address isn't published.

This offer reminds me of someone complaining about a woodpecker drilling guide (I should say WP look-alike drilling guide) he bought online...he got one made of plastic instead of aluminum. The product photo he saw was photoshopped from WP's site. Expensive plastic!

He should've known better; he paid $40(?) instead of $250(?) or something like that.

Simon

Don't have a Domino and have no plans to buy one. My guess is that if this device is legit it'll do about 90% of what most people do with a Domino - YMMV.

Doug
It might do 90% of what people usually do with a domino but at what kind of efficiency?

I could do tenon joinery by hand too with a $10 chisel and a hack saw (dont laugh), and save myself $900. Would I go for the saving? Of course not. I am a woodworker who wants precision and efficiency.

Simon
(03-11-2022, 12:16 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It might do 90% of what people usually do with a domino but at what kind of efficiency?

I could do tenon joinery by hand too with a $10 chisel and a hack saw (dont laugh), and save myself $900. Would I go for the saving? Of course not. I am a woodworker who wants precision and efficiency.

Simon

Quite a leap you made there. I could probably cut tenons with a pocket knife too, but don't think I will. The tool in the video (again, if legit) looked pretty efficient to me. Would have to take it for a test drive before a final decision but the technique looked plausible.

Hope somebody gets one and gives us a report.

Doug
Since you have never used a domino, I dont blame you for thinking that the plunge jig (that's what it is) could be a good substitute. It's like comparing a $400 Leigh dovetail jig to a $70 imported jig.

Simon
I don’t know anything about the seller but it looks like an aluminum version of the diy domino that has been floating around for a few years.