Gonna jinx myself, but
Tongue 
Plumbing repair.
Uhoh

Water heater popoff(excess pressure/temp) valve started leaking. Replace and done.

Right?

Of course not!

Went to my local Ace and bought a replacement. Shoulda know, standing looking at the choices, I would not get the correct one. All had the same connection fittings, just were three different lengths. Short, inbetween, and long. Always needed a short one(have done this job several times), so bought the short one.

Needed the inbetween.
Crazy

Still only two trips.
Uhoh
Uhoh

Scary, huh?
Yes
How old is your water heater?
VH07V  
My gas water heater was $700 10 years ago, Ca prices I suppose. I saw where a plumber claims changing the anode rod at about 5 years can double the life so I got a magnesium segmented one on Amazon and put it in. The old one was still intact, not sure if this means its still functional.

Is this true that changing the anode will significantly increase the life?

They also tried to pull some bull in CA where they would require people to vent the water heater horizontally through the wall instead of the roof because the new water heaters are so efficient that the flue gas will accumulate. I think they backed off on that.
(03-10-2022, 01:54 PM)EightFingers Wrote: How old is your water heater?

4 or 5 years, I think. Been here 14 years, replaced it after about 2 years and got 6 or 7 out of that one. There is a thin white coating on the sensory rod and that coating peeled off on the end. Don't know if that is a cause or effect. New one working fine.
If the pressure relief starts leaking again get a water pressure gauge and leave it on over night. (not expensive) It will record the max pressure.   What has happened in our area is they replaced water meters and the new ones had back flow prevention which does not allow water to go back to main from expansion in water heater, especially in the winter.  We had to install expansion tanks to solve the problem.  (now required with water heater replacement).   Roly
I have an expansion tank installed. The water heater is a Reems brand(bought at HD). Regulated house pressure is 50psi(have a gauge to check). The only problem is a leaking resin bed in the water softener(tiny yellow grains clogging the faucet diffusers).