Finishing Stair Treads
"When using a WB topcoat, a coat of Sealcoat shellac first will greatly reduce grain raising. It also imparts a warm tint which often is beneficial. "

Would it help to wipe the treads with distilled water and sand them a but before staining? I've used water based tint quite a bit, but not water based top coat.

Is there an advantage of water based besides the odor? This will probably line up to Spring for me, so I can open the windows.

I'm testing stains now, so I'm still not sure if an amber finish will help match the laminate flooring.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(03-14-2022, 12:00 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: "When using a WB topcoat, a coat of Sealcoat shellac first will greatly reduce grain raising.  It also imparts a warm tint which often is beneficial. "

Would it help to wipe the treads with distilled water and sand them a but before staining? I've used water based tint quite a bit, but not water based top coat.

Is there an advantage of water based besides the odor? This will probably line up to Spring for me, so I can open the windows.

I'm testing stains now, so I'm still not sure if an amber finish will help match the laminate flooring.

IMHO, the only real advantage is that it dries faster than solvent based so much less time between coats. And in my particular situation, I can't get solvent based in my (low voc) state. Clean-up is much easier too... soap and water. I finished my treads and risers prior to installing and it took me about a day and a half for (approx) 15 treads and rises. 6 coats on the treads, 4 on the risers. The raising of the grain was really no big seal because I'm sanding between coats anyway so the raised grain was gone after the 1st coat. I am impressed with it's durability
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(03-14-2022, 06:43 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: IMHO, the only real advantage is that it dries faster than solvent based so much less time between coats. And in my particular situation, I can't get solvent based in my (low voc) state. Clean-up is much easier too... soap and water. I finished my treads and risers prior to installing and it took me about a day and a half for (approx) 15 treads and rises. 6 coats on the treads, 4 on the risers. The raising of the grain was really no big seal because I'm sanding between coats anyway so the raised grain was gone after the 1st coat. I am impressed with it's durability

25 years ago Parks made one of the first mass distributed WB topcoats called Safe and Simple.  It was great stuff.  And then it was no more.  I wonder if the stuff you used on your stair treads is its reincarnation.  If so, it should be very durable.  I remember TOH doing a show in New Orleans where they used what I think was Safe and Simple and were walking on it later the same day.  I did my first kitchen cabinets with it and that finish held up great for 25 years until I replaced it.  

I think I'll look at the new Parks product.  Thanks.  

John
(03-11-2022, 08:41 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I used Parks water based poly from HD on my oak stairs.

Hey Neil, got a question about Parks and sent you a PM.
Joe asked about color deviation. I didn't see any. A few pic of projects I've used the Parks Water based Floor Finish on. The top one is natural red oak flooring about 3 years old?. The next 2 are a birch butcher block desk top I did about 2 weeks ago.. 6 coats on the floor, 4 coats on the desktop

[Image: SiR6AKO.jpg]

[Image: osY9O1V.jpg]

[Image: 0D7KGjd.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thanks Neil, very helpful.