Kitchen nook bench
Has anyone built something like in the picture? I'm hoping to build something like it for a client and I'm looking for any ideas on construction. The one difference is that she wants the section between the legs and the seat to be wood to match the rest of the kitchen. I am working with an upholstery person so I only need to build the bones.

Attached Files Image(s)

How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
(03-11-2022, 12:38 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: Has anyone built something like in the picture? I'm hoping to build something like it for a client and I'm looking for any ideas on construction. The one difference is that she wants the section between the legs and the seat to be wood to match the rest of the kitchen. I am working with an upholstery person so I only need to build the bones.

If you haven't already, you might want to ask whoever is doing the upholstery person to make sure they have enough wood to staple, etc. I say this because I had to repair a chair at church and fortunately the upholstery guy told me what he needed to complete the project.

Jim
Jim
(03-11-2022, 02:57 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: If you haven't already, you might want to ask whoever is doing the upholstery person to make sure they have enough wood to staple, etc. I say this because I had to repair a chair at church and fortunately the upholstery guy told me what he needed to complete the project.

Jim

Very good point. I've been in communication with the upholstery person and he's setting me straight on how to make it. I wish I could just go to his shop with a drawing and hash it all out but be won't let anyone in on account of COVID. I'm not going to blame him for that but it makes it a little more difficult than it could otherwise be.

If I were going to build that, I would be tempted to build a frame that was exposed under the seat cushions and behind the back cushions. The cushions could then be attached much like the loose cushions on a sofa.
(03-12-2022, 07:15 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: If I were going to build that, I would be tempted to build a frame that was exposed under the seat cushions and behind the back cushions. The cushions could then be attached much like the loose cushions on a sofa.

How the seat is built will be up to the client. I'll offer something like you mentioned as an inexpensive option but I'm thinking about doing zig-zag springs for the seat and a button-tufted back. Between talking with the upholsterer and watching videos, I'm learning a lot about the process. I should probably start another thread just about building furniture to be upholstered. It's way more involved than I would have imagined.