Countersinks
My countersinks look like I sent them out to be polished.  Is it time to sharpen or replace?  Can the counter sink flutes be sharpened? 
I've used the Rockler Insty-Drive for at least twenty years.  Some things I have appreciated:
   replaceable tapered bit with flat surface for Allen set screw
   adjustable depth countersink with two Allen set screws
   adjustable depth of bit  (have not used this a lot, but was very important when I did)
Disadvantage $$$$$  Separately $19.95
You get what you pay for...right?  Most likely, I will not change, but I really want to hear from the WN Brain Trust.

Amazon offers at least five brands of 5 bit sets for less than one Rockler countersink:
   Ideashop  $14.84
   Rokrou   $14.39
   Saipe   $13.99
   FTG   don't remember
   WL Fuller   don't remember

I looked at the Lee Valley set; kinda pricey, but I like the 1/4" shafts offered on the other sets.
At my age, this will likely be the last time I will visit this subject, so let me hear what you have to offer.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Suggest trying to buy them at auctions and estate/yard/garage sales.   Usually see a few in boxes with miscellaneous other small items.  Not sure you'll get a full set at once, but you should be able to get  some and a whole lot cheaper and maybe better quality.
Bought one of these on Amazon for $36. Seems pretty well made and works well when I tried it out- meaning 5 holes in a test piece. It is not tapered. Amana makes a tapered one. Amana is a little bit more $ but recommended by the Wood Whisperer. I took a chance on this one and it seems pretty nice.

Countersink Drill Bit Set -1/8"x5/16"(3x8mm)- Quickly Adjust Depth of Drill without wrench or any Tools-Built in Stopper Keeps Wood Surface from Drill Scratches-Woodworking Tools and Carpenter Tools

I didn't look and haven't heard of those ones you listed...except for the WL Fuller brand. Their stuff has always been top notch, I'd probably stick with them of the listed choices.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've had good luck with Montana countersinks. Worth looking at:https://www.montanabrandtools.com/collections/countersinks 

Jim
Jim
The cleanest holes I get are from the ones with integral drill bits. The others seem to chatter endlessly. Also, I have heard that cross-hole countersinks are like magic. I have one on order to try but I can't say whether they work as well as claimed.
(03-12-2022, 10:04 AM)FS7 Wrote: The cleanest holes I get are from the ones with integral drill bits. The others seem to chatter endlessly. Also, I have heard that cross-hole countersinks are like magic. I have one on order to try but I can't say whether they work as well as claimed.

Cross hole countersinks give the smoothest finish with no chatter.  They are used for metal work more often than woodworking because of the bore hole size needed for them to work.
I've always used Fuller. I stopped buying tapered drill bits and just use regular twist drills. Fuller countersinks are easily sharpened. I try to use a good, fine grit grinding wheel. In a pinch, I use a belt sander. 

What size do you need? I may have a few extra.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I second estate sales if possible. Estate sale drill bits are typically dirt cheap and most are high quality. I almost never pass up a good countersink bit even if I have more than enough already.

(03-12-2022, 01:46 PM)museumguy Wrote: Fuller countersinks are easily sharpened. I try to use a good, fine grit grinding wheel. 
The sharpening really interest me.  The Rockler Insty-Drive counter sink has 4 flutes, just not sure how precise I can be doing it by hand.

What size do you need? 
I truly do not have a need, just noticed the "polished" look and wondered what the brain trust would have to say.

So far, I've not had the need for the "clean" function of the Cross-hole.
I have decided on a dual approach: a) sharpen what I have,  b) buy a set of Fuller straight bit.

Thank you for the feed back.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood