Festool Domino vs other options...
Thanks for the help Doug.  Somehow that video got lost when I had to buy a new PC.  I'll have to look for it in the files I saved.  

The link Doug posted shows my original horizontal router mortiser.  You can build one using the SketchUp file at the bottom of the page, and here's another link to that webpage:  HRM webpage.  You can download the SketchUp file for free.  I said FREE, no strings attached.  If you don't use SketchUp I can send you Adobe PDF files of the major parts you need to make.  FREE.   

The original HRM is over 12 years old now and still in use by a friend.  When I decided to put a unit up for sale I redesigned it with higher quality materials and components.  Dave Diaman, who many of you know, provided some guidance on the redesign, and he received the very first unit.  As far as I know, he still uses it on a regular basis.  All the HRM's I have sold are based on that design and look like this.  

[Image: AM-JKLWImy1bpOatPAofcZyaT08byylmRLoWwcvi...authuser=1]

You can find more photos of it and in use at this Link.

It's roughly 24" L x 16" D x 15" high.  It's constructed primary of Baltic birch plywood, has UHMW runners, and safety guard, and uses a single auto adjustable height Destaco clamp.  The router mounting plate is 1/4" phenolic.  I think most any mid sized router will fit.  I used a PC 690 for years and then switched to a Bosch 1617 clone to have variable speed.  A major upgrade in the design was the incorporation of a tilting X-table, which will tilt from 0 to over 45 degrees, which has obvious benefit to chair makers and anyone else who need to make mortises on angled parts.  

The HRM will cut mortises of nearly any size.  It excels at cutting mortises of the exact same size in two or two hundred parts, quickly, safely, accurately, and repeatably.  And, unlike a Domino and many other mortise specific machines, the HRM also can cut integral tenons, as well as rabbets, sliding dovetails, raised panels, dowel holes, and probably more.  I use it primarily for making mortises with loose tenons, but I have used it for all of those other needs. 

I provide a very well written setup and user guide, and free lifetime (mine) support.  I offer a free return policy.  No one has ever shipped one back.  

I don't know if I can list the price here so contact me if you are interested in purchasing one.  Thanks.   

John
(03-13-2022, 11:17 AM)Tapper Wrote: Article and video on John's machine.

Mortiser

Doug

P.S. Video doesn't seem to be coming up - John, can you help please? Thx.

OK, I fixed the video link.  Thanks for pointing that out, Doug.  And please use this link to access it.  The one Doug put up goes to my old website.  Google forced me to go to a new site and that's where any new content now goes.  Thanks.  

John
My go to tool for MT joints is my Domino. It has very few limitations for the vast majority of woodworking projects.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

Quote:I am not sure I see the benefit on some of the more common tools like the router, miter saw, or sander, but I can certainly see the benefit of their dust extractors with the auto clean feature.

I think you might be misinformed.

Festool's AC - autoclean vac is designed for drywall / masonry dust and does not use a fleece pre-filter bag.  It is not intended for woodwork.   So that benefit isn't really a benefit.  The  reg. vac's filters don't clog if you use the pre-filter bags like you're supposed to.   I think your perspective is from a reg. ol shop vac without using a bag.

The festool sanders are really good sanders.  The ets125 at $200 +/- is a real bargain in my view.   Better than anything you'll buy at the homecenter, hardware store and even most woodworking shops for 1/2 - 1/3 the price.  Less vibration by a mile.    If you need a BIG router the OF2200 really has no peer.   Most folks don't need a handheld shaper though.