Punch Saw For Plaster Wall?
Will a punch saw cut through plaster and lath for a new receptacle ? I don’t have a grinder and would rather not buy one. Or deal with the dust.

Thanks in advance.

You need one with a real stiff blade. Shark is a good one.
Is it metal or wood lath?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Drill a 1/2" hole and use a jig saw to make the cut.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-14-2022, 07:01 AM)David Stone Wrote: Will a punch saw cut through plaster and lath for a new receptacle ?  I don’t have a grinder and would rather not buy one. Or deal with the dust. 

Thanks in advance.

What are you calling a punch saw ?    The type you hit with your hand for drywall or a saws-all type.   With the hand type you would need to drill a hole to get started without breaking the plaster and most have coarse teeth.     Roly
(03-14-2022, 07:01 AM)David Stone Wrote: Will a punch saw cut through plaster and lath for a new receptacle ?  I don’t have a grinder and would rather not buy one. Or deal with the dust. 

Thanks in advance.

I would use something with a less aggressive blade so you don't loosen up or crack plaster you plan on keeping.  If you have a multitool or rotozip you might be better off using either of those
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(03-16-2022, 01:00 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I would use something with a less aggressive blade so you don't loosen up or crack plaster you plan on keeping.  If you have a multitool or rotozip you might be better off using either of those

I think this is the winner.  Any tool with a reciprocating blade risks vibrating the lath and causing more plaster to break out than intended.  My first house was lath and plaster and I learned right away to use a fine tooth hacksaw blade on the pull stroke.  Now a days a rotary tool with a cutting wheel would be my first choice.
First l would use a hole saw (as large as practical) to open up the wall.

Then get the Milwaukee handle that takes a sawzall blade. Pick a fine blade and start cutting to size. As said, smaller teeth to prevent plaster damage.

You'll find the handle to be nice to have in the long run, trimming trees etc, they even make a knife blade kit for it and one can screw a paint roller extension handle in the end.
Yes

The Milwaukee quik loc grabs the blade rock solid, no worries.

Ed