Make Golden Mean calipers
Politics 
Neat little project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgG8DtlXo
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks Jack! Have you many any yet? I just might have one of my guys set up a CNC to make some.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Tony, I made this one close to 20 years ago ...

[Image: Fibonacci-Gauge2.jpg]

Tasmanian Blackwood and brass, with handmade brass rivets.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(03-15-2022, 04:54 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Jack!  Have you many any yet?  I just might have one of my guys set up a CNC to make some.

No, I haven't yet, Tony...trying to decide whether to make one out of some of the exotic woods stash I have, or out of some 1/8" sheet aluminum I have a ton of.
Crazy
Big Grin No doubt which would be the prettiest tho.
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-15-2022, 08:01 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Tony, I made this one close to 20 years ago ...

[Image: Fibonacci-Gauge2.jpg]

Tasmanian Blackwood and brass, with handmade brass rivets.

Regards from Perth

Derek

NICE! Really like the brass tips Derek!

T.Z.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Made one, never have used it!!!
(03-15-2022, 09:58 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Made one, never have used it!!!

Sometimes we make things, just to make them!
www.metaltech-pm.com
Here's an interesting counterpoint to the golden mean caliper video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOjEXo7Q9Lg
1.618: its on a post-it note on the wall of my shop. I refer to it frequently when designing.
The golden ratio shows up many places in math and nature: the ratio of adjacent Fibonacci numbers approach it for example. It does look good.

People periodically point out that matches in art are not precise. So what? The video linked above shows a way that doesn’t produce the ratio, and suggests that says something about it. I didn’t watch beyond that.